Defrag problem RRS feed

• Question

• I have Vista Home Premium with 1gb of ram, and a 80gb HHD, of  46gb are free. My problem is that it takes up to 4 hours to defrag the HDD. Is this surpose to happen, if not, can anybody suggest a cure for this problem. Thanks

Tuesday, January 1, 2008 11:11 AM

Answers

• I wish mine would defrag in 4 hours. I have 1 new Gateway laptop with 160 gig HD 2 meg ram and it takes 8-12 hours to defrag and my new HP with 500 gig HD 2 meg ram can take a day and a half but usually I don't have to worry because the systems usually locks up before it defrags or will just keep defragging for days!. Both have Vista Premium. Plus you have no idea what it's doing because Microsoft removed all the information bars. Please give me back my XP ! By the way what does Microsoft say- how long should it take to defrag Vista ? When it works that is.
    Thursday, January 3, 2008 5:11 AM

All replies

• I wish mine would defrag in 4 hours. I have 1 new Gateway laptop with 160 gig HD 2 meg ram and it takes 8-12 hours to defrag and my new HP with 500 gig HD 2 meg ram can take a day and a half but usually I don't have to worry because the systems usually locks up before it defrags or will just keep defragging for days!. Both have Vista Premium. Plus you have no idea what it's doing because Microsoft removed all the information bars. Please give me back my XP ! By the way what does Microsoft say- how long should it take to defrag Vista ? When it works that is.
    Thursday, January 3, 2008 5:11 AM
  • Thanks Califmale,  And I though I was having it bad. The new layout for the defrag in vista is terrible, as you say, under XP you had a status bar, and it was quicker. I dont think we will get an answer in ths fourm
    Thursday, January 3, 2008 7:43 PM
  • I downloaded DiskKeeper 2008 trialware for 30 days, and its quite good. Fast and has a status bar on it. Pity microsoft cant get its own software in order, saving me the expence of having to use and nodought having to buy 3rd party software to sort out their problems. 

Sunday, January 6, 2008 2:17 PM
  • I downloaded DiskKeeper 2008 trialware for 30 days, and its quite good. Fast and has a status bar on it. Pity microsoft cant get its own software in order, saving me the expence of having to use and nodought having to buy 3rd party software to sort out their problems. 

microsoft uses diskkeeper.
    Friday, April 19, 2013 1:50 AM