Vista freezes on normal boot RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have Vista 32bit sp2 and for the last few years has run fine until recently it has started to freeze up on normal boot.

It starts fine then about 30 seconds later the pointer freezes and does not respond. It does respond after some time, but only briefly (i.e. moves an inch across the screen and freezes again). The only thing I can do is a hard reboot but the problem still exists once the machine has restarted.

Under safe mode it boots fine and does not suffer from this. I have done a clean boot but that has not solved the issue.

I have a feeling this was caused by a recent automatic update, but I have restored it back to a point where it was working ok but that has not helped.

Regards,

Gerry

Monday, October 25, 2010 3:25 AM

Answers

• Hi Sabrina, and thank you so much for your reply.

This was driving me crazy!

I disabled all the "Sound, Video and Game Controllers" items in Device Manager in Safe Mode and then renabled them once in Normal Boot mode.

For some reason I have 2 ATI HDMI Audio devices listed.

One seems to work ok but as soon as I enabled the second the system froze and I had to do a hard reboot so obviously this is the cause of the issue.

I'll disble it for now and look into why there are two or if the driver can be updated/rolled back.

Thanks again.

• Marked as answer by GMulholland Saturday, October 30, 2010 7:30 AM
    Saturday, October 30, 2010 7:30 AM

All replies

• Try "msconfig"

click start, on the search box,type msconfig.

Goto startup tab,check the startup programs in the list,disable unknown/untrustworthy ones,restart.

Tunde Abagun MCP,MCSA,MCTS,MCITP en p "for the love of Computers"
    Monday, October 25, 2010 8:16 PM
  • Thanks drtunababa.

I have already done that (i.e. clean boot) but it still occurs.

I do think it is something which is starting up after boot, but can't figure out what.

As I mention it starts ok but after about 30 seconds freezes which tells me that at that point something has started and causes it to freeze.

Tuesday, October 26, 2010 2:52 AM
  • I think the problem is caused by hardware drivers conflict.  My suggestions:

1). You may perform system restore to test this issue.

2). Test the problem in device clean boot mode:

Device Clean Boot

============

1. Click "Start", type "DEVMGMT.MSC" in the Search textbox and press Enter. Please click “Allow” if the User Account Control window is prompted.

2. Expand "Sound, video and game controllers".

3. Right click on your Sound Card, select "Properties"

4. Click "Driver" tab, click Disable (Disable the selected device). Click OK.

5. Please use the same method to disable other hardware: Modem, network adapter, CD-R drive.

Then, restart your computer. Please check whether the issue persists. Click "Driver" tab, click Enable (Enable the selected device). Click OK.

If the issue does not occur, we can re-enable the devices one by one to narrow down the root cause.

·         If the issue persists, would you please upload more minidump files for further research?

Collect Minidump Files

=================

1. Click "Start", input "SYSDM.CPL" (without quotation marks) in the “Search” bar and press “Enter”.

2. Switch to the "Advanced" tab and click the "Settings" button under "Startup and Recovery".

3. Under "Write debugging information" section, make sure the "Small memory dump (128KB)" option is selected.

4. Make sure "%SystemRoot%\Minidump" is in the "Small dump directory" open box and click “OK”.

If the issue appears again, please refer to the following steps to collect memory dump files:

1. Click “Start”, type “%SystemRoot%\Minidump" (without quotation marks) in “Search” bar and press “Enter”.

2. Go to your Desktop, right-click on it and create a new folder named "Dump".

3. Copy all the memory dump files (looks like [Mini092008-01.dmp]) in Minidump to this folder.

4. Right-click on the Dump folder, click "Send To", and click "Compressed (zipped) Folder".

5. Please send the ZIP file to us.

You can refer to the following link to upload the information:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/4fc10639-02db-4665-993a-08d865088d65

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, October 26, 2010 8:09 AM
  • Hi Sabrina, and thank you so much for your reply.

This was driving me crazy!

I disabled all the "Sound, Video and Game Controllers" items in Device Manager in Safe Mode and then renabled them once in Normal Boot mode.

For some reason I have 2 ATI HDMI Audio devices listed.

One seems to work ok but as soon as I enabled the second the system froze and I had to do a hard reboot so obviously this is the cause of the issue.

I'll disble it for now and look into why there are two or if the driver can be updated/rolled back.

Thanks again.

• Marked as answer by GMulholland Saturday, October 30, 2010 7:30 AM
    Saturday, October 30, 2010 7:30 AM