Inf in Vista x64 not behaving correctly RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

I am currently in the process of writting a multi platform .inf file that uses the USBAUDIO.sys system file. I tested the inf in 32 bits version of Windows XP and Vista and it has performed flawlessly but, for some reason, when testing it under Vista x64, the installation fails everytime saying it cannot find the file specified.

Investigating with Process Monitor and analysing the setupapi.dev.log file, I have come accross some abnormalities.
    For instance, comparing setupapi.dev.log for both 32 and 64 bits, I have noticed the following differences:

Vista x64:

flq:  SourceRootPath - 'C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\wdma_usb.inf_cb86604
    flq:  SourcePath     - '?3\'

Vista x86:

flq:  SourceRootPath - 'C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\wdma_usb.inf_93fdc0a6'
    flq:  SourcePath     - '\'

I am positive the SourcePath of the x64 version is the problem here, I do not understand why "?3" is added in the source path. When it goes to access the path and copy the files, it cannot find it because of the path problem as seen here:

flq:  SourcePath   - [C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\wdma_usb.inf_cb86604b\?3] <---- Incorrect path
    flq:  SourceFile   - [USBAUDIO.sys] 

Keep in mind the inf is multi platform and the model sections are basically identical so I do not see why it works under 32 bits but fails at 64.

Anyone has any insights here?

Thank you very much

Mathieu Drapeau-Paquin

Saturday, August 9, 2008 9:20 PM

Answers

• Hi,

This forum is focus on the Windows Vista issues and troubleshooting, not for development. Thus, we are not the best resource to discuss this issue. It is recommended that you post this issue on MSDN. Thank you for your understanding.

For your convenience:

Software Development for Windows Vista

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/default.aspx?ForumGroupID=24&SiteID=1

Monday, August 11, 2008 5:40 AM