Troubleshooting logs RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

is/are there local logs for SFB desktop client that log recent contacts?

I am aware of the "conversation" feature on the client software, but when this is disabled for some users (via GPO) than this is not an option. 

I am not looking for conversation content. I am looking for a list of recent contacts only.

Thank you

Wednesday, September 19, 2018 3:59 PM

Answers

• Hi Lrbkm,

If you can't see the IM contacts in Outlook neither after you blocked the feature, then you will be unable to search for the chat history on client side, neither via client local log. 

Please help mark the reply as an answer if you find it is useful. It will help others who has similar query. :)

Kind regards,

Calvin Liu

Please remember to mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful. It will assist others who has similar issue. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Marked as answer by Lrbkm Thursday, September 27, 2018 10:04 AM
    Thursday, September 27, 2018 9:33 AM

All replies

• Hi Lrbkm,

Please kindly note that we couldn’t check the recent contacts from client log but only from Admin side.

And you mentioned that the “conversation” feature is disabled for some of your users, may I know how did you block the feature deeply via configuring the GPO?

If you just configure the setting to hide the “conversation” tab on client software, then please kindly note that the recent chats could still be found in Outlook cuz you’ve integrated Exchange with SFB.

In this case the users could check the “Conversation History” folder from Outlook for searching the recent contacts.

But if you blocked the connection with Exchange completely via GPO, then you are able to check the communication records only from server side after deploying the Archiving and Monitoring Role.

Kind regards,

Calvin Liu

Please remember to mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful. It will assist others who has similar issue. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• Proposed as answer by Calvin-Liu Tuesday, September 25, 2018 9:49 AM
    Thursday, September 20, 2018 6:26 AM
  • Hi Lrbkm,

Is there any update on this query?

If the reply gives you some help, please try to mark it as an answer since it will help others who has similar issue. :)

Kind regards,

Calvin Liu

Tuesday, September 25, 2018 8:54 AM
  • Hi Calvin,

<g class="gr_ gr_73 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Punctuation only-ins replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="73" id="73">yes</g> it does. I was looking at it and trying to find out a bit more of the original setup. <g class="gr_ gr_121 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="121" id="121">Aparently</g> "conversation" is there but no chat history is kept, only phone calls, meetings and so on. The save IM settings at the preferences are grey-out because it has been set at <g class="gr_ gr_436 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Grammar only-ins replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="436" id="436">server</g> side. 

So ok, I understand no chats would be kept. But this means that also no history of who the recent contacts were, correct? And as I understand the client application does not cache this info locally in some log or so.

Wednesday, September 26, 2018 9:07 AM
  • Hi Lrbkm,

If you can't see the IM contacts in Outlook neither after you blocked the feature, then you will be unable to search for the chat history on client side, neither via client local log. 

Please help mark the reply as an answer if you find it is useful. It will help others who has similar query. :)

Kind regards,

Calvin Liu

• Marked as answer by Lrbkm Thursday, September 27, 2018 10:04 AM
    Thursday, September 27, 2018 9:33 AM