none
Odd Server Consolidation Results on MAP 5.5 RRS feed

• Question

• So Ive been testing the consolidation tool on a set of 20 servers.  Ive sucessfully be able to gather metrics for all of them.  I have 2 concerns.

Based on host hardware specifications, 2P 4C 128GB RAM

The tool lumps 18 guests onto one host, I have low host CPU utilization but host RAM utilization is at 129GB.  Just over the physical allocation of the host and flagged unsucessful. The tool then uses the same host defininition for consolidating 2 other guests onto a second server at which now has very little CPU and RAM utilization.

So why wouldnt the tool spread the workload onto the second host somewhat evenly if Im requesting 2 hosts?

Also, if we are calculating avg utilization; what information can be used to understand peak utilization and to then assist in sizing accordingly?

Saturday, February 26, 2011 4:20 AM

All replies

• Regarding the problem with MAP assigning guests using more RAM than is available on the host, can you send the ServerVirtRecommendation Excel file to MAPFDBK@microsoft.com so we can look into what is happening?

As to the placement of guests, MAP uses a “greedy algorithm” to determine the optimal number of guests that can fit on a host machine before moving on to the next machine to continue the process.  In your case, the remaining pool of machines to consider was just 2 machines.  You can use the reports to determine how much room for growth you have on that second host.

If I understand your question correctly, you are asking where you can find info on peak utilization for manually sizing guests?  At this time there is not a way to do this, but we are working on implementing something like this in version 6.0

Thanks,

Michael Switzer

Monday, February 28, 2011 6:53 PM