none
Upgrade to 2010 DPM from DPM 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have DPM 2007 on 2007R2 storage server 64 bit.  I plan to rebuild this server to 2008R2 storage server with DPM 2010 on it.  I have an array of 15 scisi disk with current data on them.  How do I attached this new data so that DPM 2010 recognises these disk wit the old data?  Also to maybe make life easier I can do full backs ups to tape the do the upgardes and start a fresh.  How do I delete old data in the storage pool and get DPm to read 2007 tapes in 2010?

Tuesday, January 11, 2011 4:02 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I'm assuming you meant that you are currently running DPM 2007 on Windows 2003 R2 X64, and you want to move to DPM 2010 on Windows 2008 R2 X64 ?

Actually - the easiest way to accomplish that is to perform upgrades, then if you insist on a clean install of Windows 2008 R2 X64, do that after the upgrade as it's much easier to keep DPM configuration after the upgrade.

1) Install the latest DPM 2007 QFE KB 2250444 - then update the agents on all the PS. 
    2) Upgrade the Windows O.S. to Windows 2008 R2.
    3) Upgrade the DPM 2007 to DPM 2010.
    4) Update the agent to the DPM 2010 agents.

Now if you want a fresh installation of Windows 2008 R2 X64, follow the steps.

1)  Back up the DPM 2010 database - then copy it to a network location.

A) From the command prompt, run DPMBackup.exe -db, located at <drive letter>:\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\bin.
      B) Copy c:\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\Volumes\ShadowCopy\Database Backups\DPMDB.bak to another server.

2) Re-install the Windows 2008 R2 X64 operating system using the SAME machine name.

3) Install DPM 2010. 

4) Restore the DPM database using the DpmSync tool  (copy the saved DPMDB from step-1 to c:\dpmdb - then restore)

A) Copy the DPMDB.Bak from the remote server to a volume on the local server.
       B) From the command prompt, type DpmSync –restored –dbloc <DPMDB location> and then press ENTER.

IE:  DpmSync –restoredb –dbloc c:\dpmdb.bak

C) From the command prompt, type DpmSync -sync.

5) Run Consistency checks for all the protected data sources.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 2:23 PM
  • Thanks Mike,

Firstly can you upgarde a 2003R2 64 storage server to 2008R2 64bit.  If so are you then saying upgarde DPM 2007 to 2010 and follow your steps or......

Can I take a fresh copy of 2008R2 64 then install DPM 2010 attach disks to libary as RAW disk and start from scratch as we have full backups to tape.  If I need to restore I can catalog these and restore.

In your professional opinion what do you think is the easiest path?

Regards

Calum

Thursday, January 27, 2011 8:34 AM
  •  

Hi,

Supported upgrade paths to Windows 2008 R2: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd979563(WS.10).aspx

Yes, if start over you recatalog the imported tapes, you can restore data to file shares, or volumes as flat files, not back to applications like sql, sharepoint, or exchange.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Proposed as answer by MarcReynolds Friday, January 28, 2011 8:31 PM
    Thursday, January 27, 2011 6:59 PM
  • Just to confirm I cannot recatalog tapes for exchange data which is the main area I want to keep.  Does this mean if I want to keep tape data for exchange and SQL i have to restore the dpm database?

Cheers

Calum

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 10:09 AM
  • Hi,

No - what I'm saying is you can restore the exchange datases and logs., or SQL database and logs from tape, but they will just be files.  You will then need to mount those files manually in SQL or exchange, and bring the databases online manually.  You will not have recovery option to restore back to an exchange or sql server.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 3:48 PM
  • Hi,

Excellent, tis clear now!  I have managed to follow the upgarde path and the solution has worked perfectly, although a small issue was soon rectified.  I notice that after the upgarde an instance of 2005 still exsists, is this OK to manually uninstall?

Cheers

Calum

Thursday, February 3, 2011 10:33 AM
  •  

Perfect, and yes, you can safely remove SQL Server 2005 from the server and delete the old DPM 2007 database files.

Thursday, February 3, 2011 4:51 PM
  • Hi,

We have another site but with the following 2003R2 Server running DPM 2007.  We want to get to 2008 server with DPM 2010.  As disk space is an issue here we are suggesting the following and need your valid comments.

backupdpm -db to location

Rebuild from scratch 2008R2 64 server and install DPM 2007

Restote DPM db and run DPM syc

Check all OK and consistency checks

Then upgrade DPM to 2010 and install server agents and run Consistency checks.

Is this path a decent solution?  I think from our threads it looks like it would work

Monday, February 7, 2011 4:30 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, that is correct, before you restore the DPM2007 DB, be sure you get the new install of DPM 2007 on the same Sp1+QFE level as it was before.

Monday, February 7, 2011 11:06 PM