none
pwa 2013, tasks marked 'completed' , timesheet still have this item RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I planed a task for 30 hours,  now I finished it in 20 hours, marked it completed in 'Task', Pm approved.

Now the question shows: I still can find the task in timesheet , and 10 hours be filled in the next 2 days automatically. Also I can edit Actual hours now. 

I use time sheet to record working hours.  In my  mind , if the task be finished, it will not be shown in my timesheet, it there anything miss-understanding? and is there any best experience ?

/Jou 

Jou Chen

Thursday, October 8, 2015 3:18 AM

Answers

• Hi,

when marking a task as complete, Project Server will just "copy" values from work to actal work. So with marking complete, you indicated that you just did everything exactly a pm planned it for you. To perform what you want, enter actual work, either in left table, when you are not using timephased reporting or in right grid, with timephase reporting. Afterwards, change value of remaining work to 0.

Does that help?
    Barbara

To increase the value of this forum, please mark the replies that helped to solve your issue as answer. If you find answers to questions from other forum participants to be helpful, please mark them as helpful. Your participation will help others to find an appropriate solution faster. Thanks for your support!

• Marked as answer by Jou Chen Thursday, October 15, 2015 1:55 AM
    Thursday, October 8, 2015 3:51 AM

All replies

• Hi,

when marking a task as complete, Project Server will just "copy" values from work to actal work. So with marking complete, you indicated that you just did everything exactly a pm planned it for you. To perform what you want, enter actual work, either in left table, when you are not using timephased reporting or in right grid, with timephase reporting. Afterwards, change value of remaining work to 0.

Does that help?
    Barbara

To increase the value of this forum, please mark the replies that helped to solve your issue as answer. If you find answers to questions from other forum participants to be helpful, please mark them as helpful. Your participation will help others to find an appropriate solution faster. Thanks for your support!

• Marked as answer by Jou Chen Thursday, October 15, 2015 1:55 AM
    Thursday, October 8, 2015 3:51 AM
  • Hi Barbara,

Thank you for your quick answer. 

Yeah, I know this is the logic of Project server for Mark completed.  

Your mind is change the remaining work to 0 in the left , am I right?

But it shows a new question, this means 'task finish status is depend on hours actual used'. If the task not completed, but remain hours is to 0, system will still 'think' the task be completed 100%. There is no icon to manually confirm the task be really finished.

How to avoid the risk?   

Jou Chen

Thursday, October 8, 2015 9:41 AM
  • Hi,

if there is no remaining work, why is task not complete (for this resource)?

If here are more assignments, so more resources working on the task, task will not be completed as long as there is some remaining work for any of them. However, the assignment displayed on Timesheet or Tasks view is completed.

Regards
    Barbara

Thursday, October 8, 2015 9:47 AM
  • Hi Barbare,

like what you say, our staff need update 2 column everyday.

1/ daily actual hours in right sheet

2/ remaining hours in left sheet

Am I right? 

Jou Chen

Wednesday, October 14, 2015 5:12 AM
  • Hi,

yes, that's the idea behind:).

Regards
    Barbara

To increase the value of this forum, please mark the replies that helped to solve your issue as answer. If you find answers to questions from other forum participants to be helpful, please mark them as helpful. Your participation will help others to find an appropriate solution faster. Thanks for your support! !!!!!!!! Join the Project Virtual Conference 2015 from Oct 22-23, 2015 with a lot of support from the Microsoft Project Community - http://projectvirtualconference.com/ !!!!!!!!

Wednesday, October 14, 2015 5:59 AM
  • Thanks.

Now I know the right steps to use Time-sheet. ^-^

Jou Chen

Thursday, October 15, 2015 1:55 AM