OUTLOOK PST FILE RRS feed

• Question

• Display message shows "Cannot start Microsoft Outlook. Cannot open Outlook window. The set of folder cannot be opened. The file C:\Users\Graham\Documents\Outlook.pst cannot be opened" .

What may have caused this is that I tried to copy message folders in my old email address to my new email address under the contacts folder.

Please advise me as to what I should do ? 

Wednesday, September 20, 2017 2:01 PM

All replies

• Hi Graham,

What's the version of your Outlook and Windows system?

Please try the following steps to recover the Navigation Pane configuration file and see if there will be any improvement:

1. Press Win + R.
    2. Type the following command in the search field: 
    outlook /resetnavpane
    Note: Make sure to enter a space between outlook and /resetnavpane.
    3. Press Enter and check if Outlook can be started as expected.

If the above method doesn't work, please try to repair the PST file using the Inbox Repair tool (SCANPST.EXE):

Repair a .pst file

Hope the above information can be helpful.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 21, 2017 6:17 AM
  • The "Unable to start Outlook" problem, can be faced in several Outlook versions (Outlook 2007, 2010, 2013 or 2016), because the set of Personal folders cannot be opened, due to errors while opening the Outlook Data file (e.g. the "Outlook.pst" file is corrupted or moved from its location), or due to navigation pane settings corruption, invalid Outlook Add-ins or because Outlook is running in compatibility mode.

Method 1. Launch Outlook without Compatibility Mode.
    Method 2. Reset Outlook Navigation Pane.
    Method 3. Repair PST & OST Files.
    Method 4. Create a new Outlook Profile.
    Method 5. Disable Outlook Add-ins.

https://www.wintips.org/fix-cannot-start-microsoft-outlook-cannot-open-outlook-window/

• Proposed as answer by DavidAdvice Friday, September 22, 2017 7:16 AM
    Friday, September 22, 2017 7:16 AM