DNS and DHCP RRS feed

• Question

• I have DHCP and DNS services installed on a Windows Server 2003 (sorry couldnt find a Ws2003 forum)

Under reservations (DHCP) i have no IP addresses or machines listed yet i know a PC that does have static IP (by the PC showing a fountain pen symbol under address lease) - is this correct?

Also i noticed that our server occassionally has a different IP address to the one we allocated it. (ping from PC it gives a different IP) looking at the properties of the local connection i notice that we have it set to static, but to get the PC to see the correct address i typed /flushdns /registerdns. I have 100 PCs so is it correct to run this command on the server so it can update all PCs DNS to the correct IP of the server?

Thanks
    Tuesday, August 19, 2008 6:25 PM

Answers

•     There should only be one IP address registered in DNS for each machine, and that should be its local NIC address. If the remote access address (ie the internal interface if you are using RRAS) registers in DNS, it can cause you all sorts of odd problems.  See KB292822. 

Bill
    Thursday, August 21, 2008 6:48 AM

All replies

•     Does your server have more than one NIC, or is it used as remote access server? Either of these things can result in dns having more than one IP associated with the machine name.
    Bill
    Wednesday, August 20, 2008 1:56 AM
  • Yes it does have Remote Access Server but i.e. 192.168.100.10 but the LAN IP address is 192.168.100.15. When i ping from a client machine it shows the .10 address and not .15 - is this how it should be?
    Wednesday, August 20, 2008 9:29 AM
  •     There should only be one IP address registered in DNS for each machine, and that should be its local NIC address. If the remote access address (ie the internal interface if you are using RRAS) registers in DNS, it can cause you all sorts of odd problems.  See KB292822. 

Bill
    Thursday, August 21, 2008 6:48 AM
  • The imporatnt thing you should remember is that, never give 192.168.x.x address for RRAS type acess. Try to give a different range of address and solve the problem.
    manu
    • Proposed as answer by ManU PhiliP Monday, September 8, 2008 12:05 PM
    Monday, September 8, 2008 12:04 PM