MDT Boot disk ADK 1607 blue screens on Hyper-V (2008r2) RRS feed

• Question

• Doing some initial testing of using MDT 2013 update 2 and the new ADK 1607.

Installed ADK 1607 updated deployment shares. Everything looked good. Tried to boot off lite_touch X86/X64.iso on a Hyper V VM and all I get is a blue screen.

Tuesday, August 9, 2016 12:26 PM

Answers

• That is because Windows 10 is not a supported guest for Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V.  You will need to work with 2012 R2 or later.

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it. Also if you don't post logs your problem won't be easily solved.

• Marked as answer by Ty Glander Tuesday, August 9, 2016 4:17 PM
    Tuesday, August 9, 2016 4:17 PM

All replies

• That is because Windows 10 is not a supported guest for Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V.  You will need to work with 2012 R2 or later.

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it. Also if you don't post logs your problem won't be easily solved.

• Marked as answer by Ty Glander Tuesday, August 9, 2016 4:17 PM
    Tuesday, August 9, 2016 4:17 PM
  • Well really its not windows 10 per say. Its WINPE based on the 1607 wim. I did not have any issues with 1155 version.
    Tuesday, August 9, 2016 4:33 PM
  • I am guessing somewhere in the 1607 release notes there is an update in OS support.

Tuesday, August 9, 2016 5:02 PM
  • I am also running into this problem with Hyper-V running on Server 2008 R2.

Found that I can boot using the Windows 10 1511 build but 1607 will cause a BSOD stop code.

Would be nice to know exactly what changed to cause this problem.

Friday, February 24, 2017 3:38 PM
  • At some point they probably said well is it worth it to ever support an operating system 3 generations newer than the host?  And then someone probably said no why would we do that since it would only happen on very rare occasions.  Then someone else probably said yes you are right that makes zero economic sense.

Sunday, February 26, 2017 9:03 PM
  • Update: I was able to make it work on our HP ML350 G3.

Had to go into the BIOS and Disable Intel VT-D.

Before I wasn't able to boot the Hyper-V to a 1607 ISO or upgrade the working 1511 OS up to 1607. Now I can do both.

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 4:29 PM