big lag while playing video games RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I've had a big lag playing games eg minecraft 

I've got the hp Compaq dc7600 small form factor 

My friends have got worse computers with lower specs but the play games with no lag unlike mine

Is it a configuration problem with the CPU/prosesser 

My computer has a Pentium 4/ 2.8GHz prosesser

When I play minecraft the CPU utilization goes strait to 100%

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 8:52 PM

Answers

• Hi,

3D gaming performance could be affected by CPU, Video Card performance, Ram or even hard disk speed. In aspect of software, you could adjust video settings in game and sometimes old video driver could also causes these issue so it is hard to tell.

If you don’t have a discrete graphics card, The CPU will do the job instead and it also could cause high CPU usage.

Windows® Performance Toolkit consists of performance monitoring tools that produce in-depth performance profiles of Windows operating systems and applications. As what has been suggested by MVP ZigZag if you think there is problem on your machine, give it a try.

Regards

D. Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 27, 2015 2:28 AM

All replies

• In order to diagnose your problem we need to run Windows performance toolkit the instructions for which can be found in this wiki

If you have any questions feel free to ask

Please run the trace when you are experiencing the problem

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

Wednesday, March 25, 2015 10:33 PM
  • Hi,

3D gaming performance could be affected by CPU, Video Card performance, Ram or even hard disk speed. In aspect of software, you could adjust video settings in game and sometimes old video driver could also causes these issue so it is hard to tell.

If you don’t have a discrete graphics card, The CPU will do the job instead and it also could cause high CPU usage.

Windows® Performance Toolkit consists of performance monitoring tools that produce in-depth performance profiles of Windows operating systems and applications. As what has been suggested by MVP ZigZag if you think there is problem on your machine, give it a try.

Regards

D. Wu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 27, 2015 2:28 AM
  • yes I download the windows performance kit but it didn't seem to help

do you think this is the problem

when I have nothing running but windows explorer (web) when I open up the task maniger and find the proses

I sea how its CPU is at 46% on the proses iexplore.exe witch is the web browser

Friday, March 27, 2015 6:22 PM
  • Hi James,

If you are not running Internet Explorer, the Iexplorer.exe should not be running in Task manager. I think you need to check on that. Shutdown this process and check if it comes back again. If it comes back automatically or pops up when your system startup, you might need to check your startup program and give it a full scan by using antivirus software.

Regards

D. Wu

• Edited by Deason Wu Wednesday, April 8, 2015 9:00 AM
    Monday, March 30, 2015 1:37 AM