none
DPM 2010 - Duplicate NETBIOS names, different FQDNs RRS feed

• Question

• We have a DPM 2010 server in domain.local. The protected computer is dc2.differentdomain.local.

We already have attached successfully a protected computer dc2.totallydifferentdomain.local and backups are running fine. Now when trying to attach the new computer, we get an error:

There is failure while attaching production server
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin\Attach-NonDomainServer.ps1 : Unable to c
    ontact the protection agent on server dc2.differentdomain.local.

In the protected computer's host file there is a line for the DPM server: 1.2.3.4 dpm dpm.domain.local. There are also records for the protected servers in DPM servers hosts file. We are using routed subnets.

So how can we attach a new non-domainserver to our DPM, which has same NETBIOS name than an older protected computer, but has a unique FQDN?

• Moved by Praveen D [MSFT] Monday, July 19, 2010 6:27 AM Moving to DPM Workgroup Protection Forum (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Monday, July 5, 2010 12:07 PM

Answers

• housekeeping - closing old post.  Open a new post if you still have a need.

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 1:28 PM
  • Hi,

This has been investigated by the product group and unfortunatly at this time DPM does not support the two PS with same NetBios name.  The only workaround at this time is to rename one of the effected machines.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, December 7, 2011 7:52 PM

All replies

• Please ensure the following for the conflicting computers:

1. You are able to access the two protected computers using ping / UNC-share paths from the DPM server.

2. For handling conflicting netbios names for computers in untrusted domains:

On protected computer, run SetDpmServer.exe -dpmServerName Server01.corp.contoso.com -isNonDomainServer -userName mark

On the DPM server, run Attach-NonDomainServer.ps1 -DPMServername Server01.corp.contoso.com -PSName Finance01.widgets.corp.com -Username mark.

3. For handling conflicting netbios names for workgroup computers:

On protected computer, run SetDpmServer.exe -dpmServerName Server01.corp.contoso.com -isNonDomainServer -userName mark -productionServerDnsSuffix widgets.corp.com.

On the DPM server, run Attach-NonDomainServer.ps1 -DPMServername Server01.corp.contoso.com -PSName Finance01.widgets.corp.com -Username mark.

Thanks, Vanita. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, July 8, 2010 6:02 AM
  • 1. Connection between the new protected server and the DPM server works fine, ping + UNC share

2. Server is in untrusted domain, so the following command has been run:

"SetDpmServer.exe -dpmServerName dpm.domain.local -isNonDomainServer -username username -productionServerDnsSuffix differentdomain.local"

On DPM server the following command is run, but receiving an error:

"Attach-NonDomainServer.ps1 -DPMServerName dpm.domain.local -PSName dc2.differentdomain.local -username username"

There is failure while attaching production server
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin\Attach-NonDomainServer.ps1 : Unable to c
    ontact the protection agent on server dc2.differentdomain.local.
    At line:1 char:29
    + .\Attach-NonDomainServer.ps1 <<<<  -DPMServerName dpm.domain.local -PSName dc2.
    differentdomain.local -username username
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Write-Error], WriteErrorExcep
       tion
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WriteErrorExceptio
       n,Attach-NonDomainServer.ps1

1) Ensure that the above server name is accessible from the DPM server.
    2) Ensure that the protection agent has been installed on the remote server. Als
    o ensure that you have run SetDpmServer.Exe with the -isNonDomainServer option o
    n the protected computer.

Thursday, July 8, 2010 7:13 AM
  • Is there any firewall server in between, if so can you please make sure that the the firewall server is configured to have the exceptions listed at: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb808766.aspx in both directions?

Thanks, Praveen D [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, July 12, 2010 5:08 PM
  • There is no firewall between these servers. I think the problem is in the NETBIOS names, because:

There are these lines in the DPM servers hosts-file:

1.2.3.4 dc2 dc2.totallydifferentdomain.local

5.6.7.8 dc2 dc2.differentdomain.local

With this setup, the first server works fine but the second one can't be attached. If I comment out the first line, the second one works just fine.

So the question is: Will the NETBIOS name be used in some way even if the FQDN is entered? Seems like it will be mixed up with the other server, because of the hosts-file.

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 5:38 AM
  • Can you change the host file entry to the following instead (Removed dc2 from the 2nd column for both entries)

1.2.3.4 dc2.totallydifferentdomain.local

5.6.7.8 dc2.differentdomain.local

It seems like its picking the first entry which is causing the problem.

Thanks, Vanita. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 6:16 AM
  • Yes, have tried and managed to attach the new server. However, after this the second server failed to respond. It indeed has something to do with the NETBIOS names
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 6:58 AM
  • Please try the following ...

1. Flush the DNS resolver : ipconfig /flushdns

2. run the scenario again

3. Check the DNS resolver to see what IPs the names are being resolved to:

ipconfig /displaydns

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 6:53 AM
  • ipconfig /displaydns shows just the right IPs. Both dc2.differentdomain.local and dc2.totallydifferentdomain.local answer to ICMP ping just fine from their addresses, but of course when pinging just dc2, the first one in the hosts file answers.
    Wednesday, July 14, 2010 7:27 AM
  • Were you ever able to come to a resolution about this?  I would be curious to know how this is going to be handled.

In my environment we have many client servers in different domains that could very easily have duplicate netbios names for different clients.  If DPM can't function on one of many servers with the same netbios name, this could be pretty bad... especially when dealing with virtual infrastructure.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010 6:34 PM
  • Were you ever able to come to a resolution about this?  I would be curious to know how this is going to be handled.

In my environment we have many client servers in different domains that could very easily have duplicate netbios names for different clients.  If DPM can't function on one of many servers with the same netbios name, this could be pretty bad... especially when dealing with virtual infrastructure.

Actually no. This case is still open.
    Monday, August 9, 2010 11:01 AM
  • Have you opened a support incident with MSFT or relying on the forums?
    blog TinyInt.Com | work Logicworks.Net
    Monday, August 9, 2010 1:09 PM
  • I had an idea for you and while I am told it probably won't work directly from someone at Microsoft(so I am inclined to believe him) it might still be worth a shot because of how simple it is.

On your DPM server, open the hosts file and create an entry for each server, but for one of them, add an extra random character to the name. 

So for your example above you would have:

1.2.3.4   dc2.totallydifferentdomain.com

5.6.7.8   dc2-x.differentdomain.com

Then redo the steps for attach-nonproductionserver.ps1 on the DPM server using the new, fake, name for the second server.  See if that works, maybe you will get lucky!  

[edit]I tried a few times to get this to work in my environment and *as expected* it fails.  Sorry I couldn't help, it was worth a shot![/edit]

• Marked as answer by Praveen D [MSFT] Saturday, September 4, 2010 10:04 AM
    • Edited by tcnolan Tuesday, September 21, 2010 4:43 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by tkomulai Tuesday, March 29, 2011 12:44 PM
    Friday, August 13, 2010 3:25 PM
  • As tcnolan suggested using the host file entry with a fake name should work? Also add additional entries like the below one. Try to attach with Netbios names dc2 and dc2-x names. If this one do not resolve the issue please open a support incident.

1.2.3.4   dc2.totallydifferentdomain.com

1.2.3.4   dc2

5.6.7.8   dc2-x.differentdomain.com

5.6.7.8   dc2-x

Thanks, Praveen D [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Saturday, September 4, 2010 10:04 AM
  • Praveen, My previous post should _not_ be marked as an answer because it does not work.   That is not a viable work around.

Friday, September 17, 2010 3:48 PM
  • Were you able to make this work?

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Thursday, June 2, 2011 10:29 AM
  • No, the issue still exists
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 5:41 AM
  • Any updates here. We are facing the same issue..
    Mo Vij General Informatics
    Saturday, August 6, 2011 9:07 PM
  • If there are more instances on this please open PSS request through Support Channel to get faster traction on this.
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 7:25 AM
  • We have the same issue! We have multiple NETBIOS names and when we add the agent with FQDN it seems DPM is still using NETBIOS. If I add the computername "dc01" to the HOSTS file the agent is added. If I remove the dc01 from the hosts file DPM tries to connect to the other dc01 and reports it connot connect.

The first dc01 is in domain and the server we try to add is in workgroup environment. Where can I report this bug to the DPM development team?

Wednesday, August 17, 2011 9:40 PM
  • housekeeping - closing old post.  Open a new post if you still have a need.

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 1:28 PM
  • Hi,

This has been investigated by the product group and unfortunatly at this time DPM does not support the two PS with same NetBios name.  The only workaround at this time is to rename one of the effected machines.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, December 7, 2011 7:52 PM