Windows Shutting Down issue. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

This issue has been started when i have updated from windows 8.1 single language to media center.

my Laptop is shutting Down very slowly. It is taking 3-5 minutes of time.

I have disabled my bluetooth driver.

I have updated my antivirus (windows defender).

I have updated intel management engine.

I changed the WaitToKillServiceTimeout to 1000.

But nothing has changed still it is taking that much time.

Thursday, October 16, 2014 9:13 AM

Answers

• Hi srinivas7y,

What is your current situation?

For Windows 8.1 slow shut down issue, please check your programs before we shut down.  It's possible that the problem occurs only if the program is running. Try closing the program  before shutting down Windows, and then see if your computer turns off properly.

Another thing is to check with the manufacturer of the program or driver for an update. A newer version of the program might include a resolution to the problem.

If these options don't solve the problem, then the program or driver might be incompatible with Windows. If you installed the program or device yourself and you no longer use it, consider removing the device, or uninstalling the program or driver.

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by srinivas7y Monday, October 27, 2014 9:12 AM
    Monday, October 20, 2014 5:42 AM

All replies

• Hi

It is probably trying to close down applications in the background. It does the same with me running lync and skype. if i dont exit them it takes 3-7 min. if i close them it shuts down pretty quick.

Hope this helps. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Thursday, October 16, 2014 11:22 AM
  • It could be, that you store parts of your user-profile on a network share. If you have quite a lot of media files stored in your user directory and you have a server-stored user-profile, logoff and shutdown are needing a lot of time, to sync your profile to the server.

Wolfgang

Thursday, October 16, 2014 12:47 PM
  • Hi srinivas7y,

What is your current situation?

For Windows 8.1 slow shut down issue, please check your programs before we shut down.  It's possible that the problem occurs only if the program is running. Try closing the program  before shutting down Windows, and then see if your computer turns off properly.

Another thing is to check with the manufacturer of the program or driver for an update. A newer version of the program might include a resolution to the problem.

If these options don't solve the problem, then the program or driver might be incompatible with Windows. If you installed the program or device yourself and you no longer use it, consider removing the device, or uninstalling the program or driver.

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by srinivas7y Monday, October 27, 2014 9:12 AM
    Monday, October 20, 2014 5:42 AM