none
Could this be a backup created corruption to a GPO? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm getting this error upon import in to SCM 2

Import GPO had with the following errors. This can result from improper manual modification of GPO backup files. Always make changes to GPOs using GPMC, and regenerate the GPO backup if necessary.

No Valid GPO Files to import.

Yet, I know the GPO works and I haven't touched the backup file that was exported from GPMC.

Any suggestions?

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 4:07 PM

All replies

• Brainfuelmedia;

I apologize that nobody has answered your question yet. I don't think you've provided enough information. Its possible that you selected the wrong folder when you tried to import the GPO into SCM, in other words, perhaps you selected the parent directory instead of the directory with the GPO backup. What folder are you selecting? If you still can't get it to work I suggest that you archive the GPO backup in a ZIP or CAB file and email to our team at secwish@microsoft.com so that one of the testers can take a closer look.

Kurt

Kurt Dillard http://www.kurtdillard.com
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 4:14 PM
  • I am getting the same error, but only on select policy objects. From what I have gathered, the ones that keep getting the error are ones that have startup scripts configured in the policy. I am importing all GPO Backups from the same backup folder containing backups all created at the same time so it's definitely not the backup, otherwise none of them would work. Any ideas?

Also, is it possible to import the entire backup folder as opposed to importing each individually? The current environment has over 350 Policy objects, so either a scripted import or having the ability to import an entire folder would be extremely beneficial!!

Thanks!!

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 7:00 PM
  • nonimal;

I'm not sure what's up, if you send the GPO backups that fail to secwish@microsoft.com one of the testers can dig in.

Unfortunately the dev team didn't have time to develop a command-line interface for SCM and there's no way to do batch imports. good suggestions for the next version though.

Kurt

Wednesday, October 26, 2011 3:38 PM
  • Has there been a resolution to this issue?  I am having the same eror on about 50% of the GPO's I am trying to import.  Downloaded v2.5 and still get the same error

Import GPO had with the following errors. This can result from improper manual modification of GPO backup files. Always make changes to GPOs using GPMC, and regenerate the GPO backup if necessary.
    No Valid GPO Files to import.

It isn't a blank GPO either.  There a some power settings in this particular GPO I am trying to import.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 5:51 PM
  • We can't determine what's going based on the information in your post, as I suggested to nominal, you need to forward the GPO(s) to us at secwish@microsoft.com. Place the entire backup folder in a compressed Zip archive and attach it to your message, then Sachin and his team of testers can take a look, or I will if I have spare time.

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 6:40 PM
  • Matt;

Thanks for taking the time to send us your GPOs. This is what I found:

One GPO has no settings, it won’t import into SCM. 

One GPO contains  wireless network settings, which SCM also does not support. In this last case, I would expect SCM to go ahead and import the GPO but not display the unsupported settings, perhaps its failing completely because the GPO contains no other settings except the unsupported 802.11 settings.

The others contain group policy preferences, they also will not import because SCM does not support GPP. 

I'll try to pursuade the program management and dev teams to implement more informative error messages when GPO imports fail in these situations, but if they do that it won't be until the next version of SCM, which is pretty far down the road.

Kurt

Thursday, February 16, 2012 4:37 PM
  • I have the same problem as well.  First, it would be nice if you can backup all your policies through the gpmc in the rsat tools to a single directory, which you can, and have SCM read your policies from that single directory.  Instead you have to import tham one at a time.  Second, half the ones I import fail with a generic message.  I just read this thread about problems with group policy preferences, problems with scripts, or problems with wireless settings.  I know there must be a lot more, because I have some policies without preferences, without login scripts, and without wireless settings, that are getting this same error

Dan Heim

• Edited by DaveBryan37 Wednesday, April 4, 2012 9:52 PM
    Wednesday, April 4, 2012 9:51 PM
  • Dan;

It would be helpful if you were to send the problematic GPOs to us at secwish@microsoft.com, that way the test team could try to determine what the root causes are. Thanks for your feedback, we'll continue to improve the GPO import feature in future versions of SCM.

Kurt

Friday, April 6, 2012 12:28 PM
  • Can we all following this thread hear what's going on in the background?

I'm just starting to use the tool and was sent a Zip'd GPO backup to import with the same results as above.

Either Backup.xml or bkupInfo.xml does not exist.

Looks like the correct format, all folders in place, backup.xml exists.

Any insite?

Passionate about SCCM

Friday, August 31, 2012 8:21 PM
  • Daniel;

To reiterate what I said a few times already in this thread: archive the GPO backup in a ZIP or CAB file and email to our team at secwish@microsoft.com so that our testers can take a closer look. Its impossible for us to say with precision what's going on without examining your GPO backup. The issue is probably because your GPO includes settings like not supported by SCM Group Policy Preferences.

regards,

Kurt

Tuesday, September 4, 2012 3:03 PM
  • Hi Kurt,

I am glad that I'm not the only one with this problem. I can't send you a sample GPO, because of the environment I work in. But your suspicion/investigation is correct, if the GPO only contains unsupported settings, it fails with the above mentioned (not descriptive) error.

I am using 3.0.60.0 and the situation still exists. Is there any hope that this will get fixed soon?

The batch import would be extremely helpful as well.

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 6:33 PM
  • Can we at least get a list with all the settings which SCM does not support?
    Thursday, December 13, 2018 2:38 PM
  • I am having this issue. I wonder if anyone is still checking this thread. 

It's only with one GPO and it is user\preferences\control panel settings\folder options\general

maybe preferences still cannot be saved in SCM? 

Thanks

Sunday, October 6, 2019 5:21 AM