Your computer can't connect to the remote computer because... RRS feed

• Question

• I receive the following error when attempting to establish an external remote desktop connection:

"Your computer can't connect to the remote computer because teh Remote Desktop Gateway server address is unreachable or incorrect.  Type a valid Remote Desktop Gateway server address."

I can ping (and nslookup) the Remote Gateway Server address.  I've tried using the RD Gateway IP Address and FQDN, same error. 

Tuesday, October 5, 2010 1:33 PM

Answers

• Hi,

A possible cause is the subject name of the certificate installed on the RD Gateway server does not match the server name. The name in the Subject line of the server certificate (certificate name, or CN) must match the FQDN, or the DNS name that the client uses to connect to the RD Gateway server, unless you are using wildcard certificates or the SAN attributes of certificates. 

Thanks.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Joson Zhou Friday, October 15, 2010 2:43 AM
    Wednesday, October 6, 2010 1:54 AM

All replies

• Hi,

A possible cause is the subject name of the certificate installed on the RD Gateway server does not match the server name. The name in the Subject line of the server certificate (certificate name, or CN) must match the FQDN, or the DNS name that the client uses to connect to the RD Gateway server, unless you are using wildcard certificates or the SAN attributes of certificates. 

Thanks.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Joson Zhou Friday, October 15, 2010 2:43 AM
    Wednesday, October 6, 2010 1:54 AM
  • Hi,

How's everything going? Is there any update on the issue? If you need further assistance, please do not hesitate to respond back.

Thanks.

Tuesday, October 12, 2010 5:58 AM
  • Hello Joson,

Having the same problem.  My FQDN is tsg.mycompany.eu.com this is subject name that appears on certificate.  Should I get a diferent certificate to show: RDSERVER.NETBIOS.tsg.mycompany.eu.com or NETBIOS.tsg.mycompany.eu.com (my NETBIOS is "FLUS"), or should I leave it the way it is.

Thanks in advance. 

Alex Garcia
    Saturday, August 20, 2011 7:30 AM