none
DPM 2010 Virtual and Disk RRS feed

• Question

• just one question: what kind of disk are official supported with virtual DPM? i think:

- iSCSI
    - Pass-Through

the attach virtual disk are supported? DPM see that like a normal disk but really are "virtualized"

another question: if i want backup the DPM server with Tivoli, i need to execute the dpmbackup -replica cmd before the backup task?

thnks

S.Net
    MCITP Enterprise Administrator - MCTS Virtualization - Operations Manager 2007 - Exchange Server 2007 - MCSE-M
    S.Net Blog
    WindowServer.it
    WindowServer.it Learning Portal

Tuesday, November 8, 2011 9:40 PM

Answers

• just one question: what kind of disk are official supported with virtual DPM? i think:

- iSCSI
    - Pass-Through

the attach virtual disk are supported? DPM see that like a normal disk but really are "virtualized"

another question: if i want backup the DPM server with Tivoli, i need to execute the dpmbackup -replica cmd before the backup task?

thnks

S.Net
    MCITP Enterprise Administrator - MCTS Virtualization - Operations Manager 2007 - Exchange Server 2007 - MCSE-M
    S.Net Blog
    WindowServer.it
    WindowServer.it Learning Portal

Hi S.Net,

You are correct in those being the only two types that are supported. Here is more information on the types of disks you can use on a DPM VM within those two types:

The following 4 types of disk configuration are supported as DPM storage pool in a Virtual machine.

A) Pass-through disk with host direct attached storage (DAS)

B) Pass-through FC LUN which is attached to host.

C) Pass-through iSCSI LUN which is attached to host.

D) iSCSI LUN which is attached to VM directly.

I got this info directly from this TechNet article: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff399554.aspx It was a note provided by Mike Jacquet of MS.

In regards to your other question; if Tivoli was not designed to work with the DPM VSS Writer service then yes you will need to use the DPMBackup tool to create copies of the replicas and the DPM database before protection occurs.

I hope that answers your questions.

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.dpm2010.com
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 6:04 PM