Can't roll backfrom IE 11 to IE 8 in Windows 7 sp1 RRS feed

• Question

•  I am unable to roll back from ie 11 to ie 8 , instead i had uninstalled a ie 11 update from programs and features in control panel.
    Wednesday, April 9, 2014 6:56 AM

Answers

•  I am unable to roll back from ie 11 to ie 8

Depending on how you got to IE11 you might have to uninstall your OS service pack.  E.g. a sequence like W7 IE9 W7sp1 IE10 IE11 would only be able to go back to IE9 as a level of browsing for the OS at W7sp1.

instead i had uninstalled a ie 11 update from programs and features in control panel.

That's the right idea.  So, what was showing in Windows Features after that?  Another method of checking on the level of browsing functionality in the OS is to use System Information (msinfo32.exe) for its Loaded Modules display.  Sort that by Version.  The sort is only a text sort, e.g. not an arithmetic sort.  So if uninstalling IE11 took you back too IE10 functionality you would want to sort ascending and see the latest updates for it as the biggest versions at the 10. level.  Conversely if your uninstall procedure took you back to IE9 you might prefer to sort descending and then see any 9.0 versions near the top to know what your latest maintenance was for IE related modules.

FYI

• Marked as answer by Karen Hu Wednesday, April 23, 2014 1:43 AM
    Thursday, April 10, 2014 3:34 AM
  • Hi,

Run these command in elevated command prompt window to check what are IE packages in this folder.

dir %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-*.*.mum

Uninstall IE 11 uing command prompt

FORFILES /P %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages /M Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-*11.*.mum /c "cmd /c echo Uninstalling package @fname && start /w pkgmgr /up:@fname /norestart"

Also, you can refer to this article below:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2509039/en-us

Andy Altmann
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, April 10, 2014 9:51 AM

All replies

•  I am unable to roll back from ie 11 to ie 8

Depending on how you got to IE11 you might have to uninstall your OS service pack.  E.g. a sequence like W7 IE9 W7sp1 IE10 IE11 would only be able to go back to IE9 as a level of browsing for the OS at W7sp1.

instead i had uninstalled a ie 11 update from programs and features in control panel.

That's the right idea.  So, what was showing in Windows Features after that?  Another method of checking on the level of browsing functionality in the OS is to use System Information (msinfo32.exe) for its Loaded Modules display.  Sort that by Version.  The sort is only a text sort, e.g. not an arithmetic sort.  So if uninstalling IE11 took you back too IE10 functionality you would want to sort ascending and see the latest updates for it as the biggest versions at the 10. level.  Conversely if your uninstall procedure took you back to IE9 you might prefer to sort descending and then see any 9.0 versions near the top to know what your latest maintenance was for IE related modules.

FYI

Thursday, April 10, 2014 3:34 AM
  • Hi,

Run these command in elevated command prompt window to check what are IE packages in this folder.

dir %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-*.*.mum

Uninstall IE 11 uing command prompt

FORFILES /P %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages /M Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-*11.*.mum /c "cmd /c echo Uninstalling package @fname && start /w pkgmgr /up:@fname /norestart"

Also, you can refer to this article below:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2509039/en-us

Andy Altmann
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, April 10, 2014 9:51 AM
  • See...

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-Windows Client since 2002 Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft

Friday, April 11, 2014 5:08 PM