FIM Concepts: FIM MA - why import, then export? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm following the Intro to Inbound Sync, with an example of loading data from a file.

I understand why during the initialization steps we first must run a full import, then full sync to get our objects into the metaverse.  But I lose it conceptually on the next two steps: why do we export them (if we just imported into the CS, don't we just get back the same objects into FIM?)

It states in the export phase that "As a result of the initialization, updates have been staged to the connector space of the FIM 2010 R2 management agent. These pending exports must be pushed out to the FIM 2010 R2 Service database."

Well, didn't I just import them in the cs myself? Aren't I getting back into FIM the same things? 

Also, why does a Delta Import confirm this initialization?

Thanks for your patience as I learn this platform!

Sunday, October 21, 2012 11:44 AM

Answers

• Hi,

If I understand your question exact what it mean, answer is

FIM synch and FIM portal both have different databases.

Sometimes when there is addition or deletion of data when you import and portal.

And there is also precedence if you priorities the data. Each MA only know the date from its data-source. And in FIM data is managing from many sources.

And I will be glad to answer if you have more questions.

Regards,

M. Irfan

• Proposed as answer by M.Irfan Sunday, October 21, 2012 2:10 PM
    • Marked as answer by Osho27 Monday, October 22, 2012 11:58 AM
    Sunday, October 21, 2012 2:10 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If I understand your question exact what it mean, answer is

FIM synch and FIM portal both have different databases.

Sometimes when there is addition or deletion of data when you import and portal.

And there is also precedence if you priorities the data. Each MA only know the date from its data-source. And in FIM data is managing from many sources.

And I will be glad to answer if you have more questions.

Regards,

M. Irfan

• Proposed as answer by M.Irfan Sunday, October 21, 2012 2:10 PM
    • Marked as answer by Osho27 Monday, October 22, 2012 11:58 AM
    Sunday, October 21, 2012 2:10 PM
  • Hi M! and thanks, I understand now.  Do you know what the Delta Import phase is for?

That states it is for confirmation to finalize the initalization.  Sure wish there was a graphic that showed what each of these steps is actually doing physically to data in each residing system - perhaps I try to create it an post it here for comment.

Monday, October 22, 2012 12:02 PM
  • Hi,

Delta means only report the changes. For example if you changes only. For example if you change some attributes or something like that.

Mostly when system is in production environment, we only commit delta.And also when we set tasks auto.

Full always commit manually.

Regards,

M. Irfan

• Proposed as answer by M.Irfan Monday, October 22, 2012 3:32 PM
    Monday, October 22, 2012 1:59 PM