when posting links on sharepoint -> how do I open them in tabs? RRS feed

• Question

• Howdy!

Sharepoint 2007 is the name. How do I force 2007 to open links in tabs instead of new windows?

-o-------------o-

Monday, June 18, 2012 12:59 PM

Answers

• Teach the user how to hold down the Ctrl key when they click on it.

I know that Target="_Blank" opens a link in a new window, but haven't found what the Tab equivalent is. (Sounds like this is being phased out.) There's no way to do this for EVERY link, but you can make your custom links do this.

Steve Clark, MCTS | Twin-Soft.com

• Marked as answer by ɡɑːləm Tuesday, June 19, 2012 6:20 AM
    Monday, June 18, 2012 2:49 PM
  • Opening a link in a tab is a browser feature. HTML code already provides capability of opening links in new window by using the target attribute, as Steve mentioned earlier. There's no native feature in HTML for opening links in new tab and in extension of that, you can't control if links from SharePoint will open in new window or new tab.

Depending on the configuration of your browser on your computer, it will either open the link in a new window or in a new tab.

Pman
    http://www.pmansLab.com/

• Marked as answer by ɡɑːləm Tuesday, June 19, 2012 6:27 AM
    Tuesday, June 19, 2012 12:36 AM

All replies

• Teach the user how to hold down the Ctrl key when they click on it.

I know that Target="_Blank" opens a link in a new window, but haven't found what the Tab equivalent is. (Sounds like this is being phased out.) There's no way to do this for EVERY link, but you can make your custom links do this.

Steve Clark, MCTS | Twin-Soft.com

• Marked as answer by ɡɑːləm Tuesday, June 19, 2012 6:20 AM
    Monday, June 18, 2012 2:49 PM
  • Opening a link in a tab is a browser feature. HTML code already provides capability of opening links in new window by using the target attribute, as Steve mentioned earlier. There's no native feature in HTML for opening links in new tab and in extension of that, you can't control if links from SharePoint will open in new window or new tab.

Depending on the configuration of your browser on your computer, it will either open the link in a new window or in a new tab.

Pman
    http://www.pmansLab.com/

Tuesday, June 19, 2012 12:36 AM
  • Thank you guys for the response!

Just as I thought. I had a cunning idea of teaching my users on Sharepoint about tabs, but think I will have to pass on that one...

G

• Unmarked as answer by ɡɑːləm Tuesday, June 19, 2012 6:27 AM
    Tuesday, June 19, 2012 6:22 AM