none
Meltdown / Spectre updates for Server 2008 Standard and Server 2012 Standard RRS feed

• Question

• Will there be a patch coming for Windows Server 2008 Standard or Windows Server 2012 Standard?  Right now all I see are patches for Windows Server 2008R2 and Windows Server 2012R2.  In the guidance here it says "Not available".  Just looking for confirmation that a patch is coming or I'll have to move my upgrade to 2016 up real fast!
    Monday, January 8, 2018 8:25 PM

Answers

All replies

• We would like to know as well.
    We have a VMware site with Windows 2012 Datacenter licenses and it's supported until 2023, so it should/must get fixes. We already patched VMware.
    Right now we are not protected with Windows 2012, we're desperately waiting for the fix.

Monday, January 8, 2018 11:08 PM
  • Hi,

Windows Server 2008 SP2 and 2012 should receive the update(no information on a timeline).

EOL 2008 SP2: 1/14/2020 | 2012: 10/10/2023

Windows Server guidance to protect against speculative execution side-channel vulnerabilities

Q3: Why aren't Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2012 platforms getting an update? When can customers expect the fix? 

A3: Addressing a hardware vulnerability by using a software update presents significant challenges, and some operating systems require extensive architectural changes. Microsoft is continuing to work together with affected chip manufacturers to investigate the best way to provide mitigations.

Regards

Daniel

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

• Edited by RabanserD Tuesday, January 9, 2018 6:52 AM wrong article
    Tuesday, January 9, 2018 6:44 AM
  • Hi,

Microsoft is working on the update for WS2012 and WS2008, you can pay attention to Security blog for newer information.

Microsoft Security - blog:
    https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/microsoftsecure/?filter=0

This is a new article about “Protect your Windows devices against Spectre and Meltdown” and just for your reference:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4073757/protect-your-windows-devices-against-spectre-meltdown

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by jcurtiss74921 Thursday, January 11, 2018 12:58 PM
    Thursday, January 11, 2018 2:58 AM
  • I still don't see a patch available Meltdown/Spectre for Windows Server 2008 Standard.  Has Microsoft given up on patching those servers?
    Thursday, January 25, 2018 1:54 PM
  • I still don't see a patch available Meltdown/Spectre for Windows Server 2008 Standard.  Has Microsoft given up on patching those servers?
    Thursday, January 25, 2018 1:55 PM
  • "I still don't see a patch available Meltdown/Spectre for Windows Server 2008 Standard.  "

As stated in the reply marked as the answer, "Microsoft is working on the update for WS2012 and WS2008".  These things take time.  Your best route of action is to follow the suggestion to follow the security blog for the latest information.  It will be more up to date that a technical forum.

tim

Thursday, January 25, 2018 2:12 PM