Returning a Change request back to Draft? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Does any one know how a change request item can be sent back to a draft/edit state so that the person that raised that change can make corrections and then re submit it putting it back to in progress and once again locking the edit function. The change manager should have the prerogative and functionality to do this without having to make the required edits to the change on the users behalf. 

If the approval stage has not yet been actioned then surely there must be a way to put the change back to draft/edit without having to make the user a change manager ??

Thanks Joburgtaxi

Saturday, October 20, 2018 12:36 PM

Answers

• Sorry for the late response.

I checked this in my SCSM 2016 environment:

• Created a Change Request and clicked "OK".
    • Change Request status changed from "New" to "In Progress".
    • If the CR is in progress I am still able to edit the fields of the Change Request.

The ability to modify a Change Request depends on the User Role the user is a member of.

For instance a "Change Initiator" is allowed to create a Change Requst. But not allowed to modify/update an existing Change Request.

A member of the user roles Advanced Operator, Change Manager, Author or Administrator is allowed to modify/update an existing Change Request.

User Role Profiles

Hope this helps.

Andreas Baumgarten

Tuesday, October 30, 2018 2:18 PM

All replies

• Setting the CR status back to draft (and maybe all related activities to "pending") migt be pssible with a PowerShell script:

Breaking All the Rules Part 2: Forcing a Change Request Status from Closed to Completed

This PowerShell script could be added in a SCSM Task:

Custom console tasks: Part 2

Hope this helps.

Andreas Baumgarten

Saturday, October 20, 2018 5:03 PM
  • Thanks for the reply, the solution looks interesting but I don’t think it will work for what I am trying to do. When clicking the apply button after entering the details of a new change request it automatically sets the status to in progress and would then lock the change for further editing by anyone other than the Change Manager. I do not believe there is such a change status as Draft, it is only ever in “Draft” while it is being created for the first time. Anyone got any other ideas? Thanks Joburgtaxi
    • Edited by Joburgtaxi1 Saturday, October 20, 2018 9:31 PM
    Saturday, October 20, 2018 9:30 PM
  • Sorry for the late response.

I checked this in my SCSM 2016 environment:

• Created a Change Request and clicked "OK".
    • Change Request status changed from "New" to "In Progress".
    • If the CR is in progress I am still able to edit the fields of the Change Request.

The ability to modify a Change Request depends on the User Role the user is a member of.

For instance a "Change Initiator" is allowed to create a Change Requst. But not allowed to modify/update an existing Change Request.

A member of the user roles Advanced Operator, Change Manager, Author or Administrator is allowed to modify/update an existing Change Request.

User Role Profiles

Hope this helps.

Andreas Baumgarten

Tuesday, October 30, 2018 2:18 PM