none
List Of Problems with PPS

Question

• Hi All,

Please share your comments on following issues that i faced while creating dashboards:

1 Cascading Two MDX Filters
    2 Deployment : how to set configurations/ report server paths e..g in config file so  that imprting items on next environment will be seemless.
    3 Passing parameters across pages of a dashboard. E.g. click on KPI will take to  different dashboard page with parameters
    4 Changing labels in the analytic reports
    5 Facility to change columns in analytic chart depending on level in connected MDX  filter
    6 Filter dashboard objects based on a Grid row or column selection
    7 Facility to copy and past pages from one dashboard to another dashboard. Currently  new dashboard needs to be created from scratch.
    8 Facility to have different master page as per role. E.g. users will have masterpage  without top bars but admin can edit the page and add webparts lateron.
    9 Facility to set range on bottom axis of chart
    10 Facilty to add sharepoint filters at the time of dashboard creation itself.
    11 descriptive names of hierarchys needs to be shown when trying to set connection on  dashboard page in edit mode from browser.
    12 more control on how to render the charts when exported to excel. Selected parameters  show keys of the selected member in excel. E.g. [date].[fiscal].[month].&[2011].&[1]  is shown.  What if user wants to show  "Month: Jan, 2011"
    13 If there are two hierarchy's added in column of grid chart and if second level  member is expanded in 1st column, it get's expanded in all columns.
    14 Facility to add zones on page after dashboard is deployed. Else for adding one empty  zone on page whole dashboard needs to be deployed
    15 Is there any way to activate the hierarchical/Level/member action defined in SSAS on  PPS. Currently only the Cell action is available on PPS.

Appreciate any comments or responces

Thanks.

++
    Monday, March 14, 2011 5:11 AM

Answers

• Total agree with Heidi, you kind of unleashed your laundry list.  I have a wish list myself posted, PerformancePoint Services (PPS) Wish List, and I know there are more like this in this forum area as well.

I will do my best, but to get more feedback and to make it more useful for others searching I would recommend breaking out your high priority items into their own threads.

1. Not an option, heard rumors cascading parameters would be coming but now this might not be till a future release. I would recommend exploring user-defined hierarchies, but this doesn't always solve the situation where you want to only include the nonempty values in the next filter selection
    2. Explore the PPS Content Deployment tool, there is one for 2007 and 2010. Here is the 2010 release - http://ppscd.codeplex.com/
    3. This is not available out-of-the-box, but there is some custom work that can be explored with the URL and custom page. Take a look at this thread and there are others that talk about this as well - Hyperlink from KPI in PPS 2010.
    4. This is not an option and you need to create the proper columns and names in the cube to expose to your users. If you need this flexibility for some reason you need to leverage different reporting tool like Reporting Services that won't have the end-user interactivity out-of-the-box.
    5. You can do this leveraging Filter Link Forumulas which are now called Connection Formulas in 2010 - put your logic in here to evaluate the hierarchy level or values and to put different MDX logic for your expected results.
    6. Sounds like you want to leverage an Analytical Report as a way to filter other items, that is not an option.  You need to leverage filters or scorecards.  With a scorecard you can create a feature similar to the Excel 2010 slicers and utilize that to filter content.
    7. Agree, this is a pain and that would be nice functionality. As of now you can copy pages once deployed in SharePoint, but can't import or pull them into Dashboard Designer
    8. Not following this one, you can have different master pages simply provide the options that you want to make available for them
    9. Very common request and lots of threads on this. this functionality doesn't really make sense though with these types of reports becuase of the filtering and drill to functionality along with changing and adding measures. if you need this use a different report type like ProClarity, SSRS, or Excel.
    10. Would be nice, but these don't necessary act the same as the PPS filters. need to deploy and use SharePoint Designer or modify through SharePoint itself. you can create custom filters if needed and use SDK to incorporate them into Dashboard Designer if needed.
    11. would need more detail as to what you are looking for here, too vague
    12. the export is just to provide the context and image for presentation purposes and the control you are looking for is not even available in other tools, not sure if I see the value that this would provide, you could possibly create something custom like this in SSRS if needed
    13. i would not want this feature at all and this is not how it works when exploring a cube with other tools either, only show the users what they are looking at when they want to see it. if you look at other tools like ProClarity, Excel, SSRS, cube browser the tools do not work like this.
    14. you can do this with SharePoint Designer or in SharePoint itself, not sure what you are really looking for here and any addition to the dashboard page in Dashboard Designer would require redeployment of dashboard, cutom page deployment is not an option and would require that you break up the pages into separate dashboards if you want that.
    15. Cell action is what you have for Analytical Reports. if you need other options look at other report types.

Dan English's BI Blog
    Saturday, March 26, 2011 1:04 PM

All replies

• Hello,

I would suggest breaking your topics into separate posts and provide more detail on what you are trying to accomplish or have tried.  By doing this, you have a better chance of the community answering your posts.

Alot of the topics that you listed, are not possible out of the box. 

Thanks

Heidi Tr - MSFT

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 3:32 PM
  • Total agree with Heidi, you kind of unleashed your laundry list.  I have a wish list myself posted, PerformancePoint Services (PPS) Wish List, and I know there are more like this in this forum area as well.

I will do my best, but to get more feedback and to make it more useful for others searching I would recommend breaking out your high priority items into their own threads.

1. Not an option, heard rumors cascading parameters would be coming but now this might not be till a future release. I would recommend exploring user-defined hierarchies, but this doesn't always solve the situation where you want to only include the nonempty values in the next filter selection
    2. Explore the PPS Content Deployment tool, there is one for 2007 and 2010. Here is the 2010 release - http://ppscd.codeplex.com/
    3. This is not available out-of-the-box, but there is some custom work that can be explored with the URL and custom page. Take a look at this thread and there are others that talk about this as well - Hyperlink from KPI in PPS 2010.
    4. This is not an option and you need to create the proper columns and names in the cube to expose to your users. If you need this flexibility for some reason you need to leverage different reporting tool like Reporting Services that won't have the end-user interactivity out-of-the-box.
    5. You can do this leveraging Filter Link Forumulas which are now called Connection Formulas in 2010 - put your logic in here to evaluate the hierarchy level or values and to put different MDX logic for your expected results.
    6. Sounds like you want to leverage an Analytical Report as a way to filter other items, that is not an option.  You need to leverage filters or scorecards.  With a scorecard you can create a feature similar to the Excel 2010 slicers and utilize that to filter content.
    7. Agree, this is a pain and that would be nice functionality. As of now you can copy pages once deployed in SharePoint, but can't import or pull them into Dashboard Designer
    8. Not following this one, you can have different master pages simply provide the options that you want to make available for them
    9. Very common request and lots of threads on this. this functionality doesn't really make sense though with these types of reports becuase of the filtering and drill to functionality along with changing and adding measures. if you need this use a different report type like ProClarity, SSRS, or Excel.
    10. Would be nice, but these don't necessary act the same as the PPS filters. need to deploy and use SharePoint Designer or modify through SharePoint itself. you can create custom filters if needed and use SDK to incorporate them into Dashboard Designer if needed.
    11. would need more detail as to what you are looking for here, too vague
    12. the export is just to provide the context and image for presentation purposes and the control you are looking for is not even available in other tools, not sure if I see the value that this would provide, you could possibly create something custom like this in SSRS if needed
    13. i would not want this feature at all and this is not how it works when exploring a cube with other tools either, only show the users what they are looking at when they want to see it. if you look at other tools like ProClarity, Excel, SSRS, cube browser the tools do not work like this.
    14. you can do this with SharePoint Designer or in SharePoint itself, not sure what you are really looking for here and any addition to the dashboard page in Dashboard Designer would require redeployment of dashboard, cutom page deployment is not an option and would require that you break up the pages into separate dashboards if you want that.
    15. Cell action is what you have for Analytical Reports. if you need other options look at other report types.

Dan English's BI Blog
    Saturday, March 26, 2011 1:04 PM
  • Thank Dan,

As usual your short and precise comments help.

explanation on some points you pointed out:

3. I had read this already and implemented in my dashboard, but this approch has an issue: if you redirect to page_2 by clicking KPI on page_1, and from page_2 you click browser's 'back' button, you will be agin redirected to page_2 autometically. :)

5. This will save my life !! if you have some blog please post.

8. If i deploy dashboard with minimal.master page, i can not add webparts to this page in edit mode of page. Minimal.master page doesnt have ribbon at the top. So I wanted that dashboard users will see minimal master page but site admin will see V4 master page.

11. If you take 'Query string URL Filter' on dashboard and try to pass parameters to PPS report (SSRS report added in PPS) on the page you will see some GUID type names in 'Filtered Parameters' dropdown on connection configuration window.  

Thanks Dan for your contribution.

++
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 11:11 AM
  • In regards to number 5 take a look at this posting by the PPS team.  You can add additional logic in this area to also evaluate the hierachy level if needed and use a CASE statement to get your desired results you are looking for.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/performancepoint/archive/2007/06/15/mdx-in-dashboards-scorecards-and-views.aspx

Dan English's BI Blog
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 11:20 AM
  • Cascading filters has now been added in the SharePoint Server 2010 SP1.

What’s New in PerformancePoint Services and SP1?
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/performancepoint/archive/2011/06/07/what-s-new-in-performancepoint-services-and-sp1.aspx

Description of SharePoint Server 2010 SP1
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2460045

PerformancePoint 2010 Cascading & Apply Filters – SP1 Features
    http://denglishbi.wordpress.com/2011/06/29/performancepoint-2010-cascading-apply-filters-sp1-features/

Dan English's BI Blog
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 12:25 PM