none
Resources Engagement in Project Server 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Our current resource engagement process only tracks project work allocation/forecast for resources using 'EPM Resource Plan' however, we also want to track the 'Resources forecast' for all non project work activities includes BAU, Initiatives, Ad-hoc.

Currently, in regards to timesheet actuals we create a 'Project name abc - timesheet task' and resources capture their actuals against that task within timesheet. This means that resources are not assigned at WBS level within the schedule just only a timesheet task get created within each project.

For tracking the non project work activities, I was thinking to introduce the Non Project Work schedule template to capture the resources forecast for non project work activities as per below with the default resource booking type as "Proposed" in schedule as I don't want task to be appear in resource MY Task, Existing Timesheet and New Timesheet views.

I would appreciate if you can share your experiences or recommendations and what do you think about above approach? Please help to provide your guidance on setting up the non project work schedule template e.g non project work project will created for each financial year, Should I set the tasks to fixed duration, non-effort driven and auto scheduled and what is the best way to allocate resources for non project work activity?

Many thanks

Cheers, Badal Ratra MCTS

• Edited by Badal Ratra Sunday, February 3, 2019 8:38 PM
    Sunday, February 3, 2019 6:23 AM

Answers

• Badal -

Good question.  I would recommend you set the Task Type to Fixed Units, non-Effort Driven for each of the support tasks.  Using the Fixed Duration task type will create lots of frustration for the people managing each support project.  This is because updates from the Timesheet page in PWA will trigger Fixed Duration warning dialogs nearly every time the PM opens the support project when actuals have been applied.  Using Fixed Units as the task type will eliminate this one headache.

The trick with a support project is figuring out what percentage of an average week or average month that a team member spends on each support task.  For the BAU tasks you show above, you should confer with some team members or their managers to get the percentage estimate and then assign the resources using that percentage as the Units value on each task.  For example, suppose that one of the support tasks is Project Meetings, and suppose that this consumes 4 hours every week.  The Units value for this task would need to be 10% (4/40 = .10 or 10%).

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by Badal Ratra Thursday, February 7, 2019 11:30 AM
    Monday, February 4, 2019 2:10 PM

All replies

• Badal -

Good question.  I would recommend you set the Task Type to Fixed Units, non-Effort Driven for each of the support tasks.  Using the Fixed Duration task type will create lots of frustration for the people managing each support project.  This is because updates from the Timesheet page in PWA will trigger Fixed Duration warning dialogs nearly every time the PM opens the support project when actuals have been applied.  Using Fixed Units as the task type will eliminate this one headache.

The trick with a support project is figuring out what percentage of an average week or average month that a team member spends on each support task.  For the BAU tasks you show above, you should confer with some team members or their managers to get the percentage estimate and then assign the resources using that percentage as the Units value on each task.  For example, suppose that one of the support tasks is Project Meetings, and suppose that this consumes 4 hours every week.  The Units value for this task would need to be 10% (4/40 = .10 or 10%).

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by Badal Ratra Thursday, February 7, 2019 11:30 AM
    Monday, February 4, 2019 2:10 PM
  • Hi Dale, Thanks for your recommendation and sharing tricks. In regards to fixed duration task type, actually these support project is resource forecast specific at the moment and I am setting up the resource booking type as Proposed because team won’t be doing timesheet. In future if team wants to do timesheet then I will change project resource booking type to committed and set task as fixed unit + effort driven as per following resource? Do you see any issue with this approach? https://www.mpug.com/articles/tracking-non-project-work-using-microsoft-project-and-project-server/ Based on your experience do you have any recommendations for any initial setup in template in regards to below - 1. Allocation for non-project activity resources will have assigned 7.5 and 8 hours enterprise resource calendar. At schedule template level is it ok if we keep the default enterprise project enterprise with 7.5 hours? Any other schedule template options settings should I need to consider? 2. What is the easily adopted way to capture the resource allocation using task usage view or details view using task usage view with Gantt chart view in the schedule? Many thanks again.

Cheers, Badal Ratra MCTS

Monday, February 4, 2019 8:50 PM
  • Badal --

The MPUG article in question was written by one of my colleagues at Sensei Project Solutions.  His approach is solid.

Since team members will not be reporting time from their timesheets against tasks in the support project, you would be fine making the tasks Fixed Duration and non-Effort Driven.  Beyond this, I do not have much to say.  I will gladly invite others to comments on your additional questions.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, February 4, 2019 9:48 PM
  • Hi Dale,

As per my discussion with business their preference is to provide the resource forecast for non project activity in estimated man days instead of percentage. Do you see any issues with the below calculation in excel based on estimated man days before I put into % allocation in non bau project.

Get total week days in excel sheet = nonworkingdays(startdate,enddate)

then estimated man days resource allocation days/total week

Or In EPM is there a way we can distribute directly the estimated man days for non project activities based on start and finish date instead of percentage for a resource?

Many thanks for your help on this.

Cheers, Badal Ratra MCTS

• Edited by Badal Ratra Wednesday, February 6, 2019 6:51 AM
    Wednesday, February 6, 2019 4:15 AM