Word stopped working RRS feed

• Question

• Good day,

I have a problem with MS word in my environment. All users are experiencing the same problem.

When I try to open word it gives me an error " Ms Word has stopped working".

When i click cancel it then pops up with " word has detected a problem with the existing Normal.dotm. Would you like to create a new Normal.dotm?".

solutions that i have tried so far with no success.

• reinstalling office
    • running a repair on office
    • deleting the templates in appdata
    • pushed updates for office and word
    • deleted keys from the registry

No matter what the team has tried the problem still persists .

any help will be much appreciated

regards

Thursday, July 21, 2016 8:55 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Darren,

Is this something that went from a working to non-working scenario? Have you ever pushed out any changes to your environment?

It looks like something is keeping corrupting the default Normal.dotm file. If you start Word in Safe mode, do you still see the error message?

To start in Safe mode: Exit Word if it is already running. Hold the Windows logo key as you press "R" key; in the Run dialog box, type "winword /safe" and press "Enter" (note the space before the slash).

I know you've mentioned you already tried a complete reinstallation, but some third party programs will automatically install their add-ins into Office application without your notice.

Also, try to perform a clean boot in one client machine, then verify result again. This will help to determine whether the issue was caused by any software conflicts:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Hope this helps. Please feel free to post back with any findings.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, July 22, 2016 6:39 AM
  • Hi Guys,

Thank you so much for the reply.

This error happens on office 2013/2016. We use Dell laptops in our environment. Win 8.1 and 10 enterprise. 

I have pushed many updates for office and it could possibly be one of the updates that is causing the problem.

I am able to open word in safe mode without any problems. i have checked for additional add-ins but i have not seen any. Word has been working fine since a few weeks ago when it started this problem. I am going through the updates that have been pushed out but it is a bit difficult to pin point as i deploy updates at least twice a week.

many thanks

Darren

Friday, July 22, 2016 7:27 AM
  • I am able to open word in safe mode without any problems. i have checked for additional add-ins but i have not seen any.

Have you waited in safe mode for relatively long period of time? It doesn't look like a update issue, IMOP.

As suggested by ehtan, try a clean boot in windows and see if tha works. It looks very likely something external is interfering with this.

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 10:54 AM
  • Hi Guys,

Thank you so much for the reply.

This error happens on office 2013/2016. We use Dell laptops in our environment. Win 8.1 and 10 enterprise. 

I have pushed many updates for office and it could possibly be one of the updates that is causing the problem.

I am able to open word in safe mode without any problems. i have checked for additional add-ins but i have not seen any. Word has been working fine since a few weeks ago when it started this problem. I am going through the updates that have been pushed out but it is a bit difficult to pin point as i deploy updates at least twice a week.

many thanks

Darren

Try renaming your normal.dotm (with Word closed).

How to Find the Normal Template

Rename it something like "normalbackup.dotm.'

That you don't know of any Add-Ins does not mean that there are none.

Try using the command line switch /a.

Add-Ins in Microsoft Word

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 12:48 PM
  • If Word's Safe mode works, the underlying issue is one of three: (1) a poorly designed add-in interfering with Word's normal operation, (2) a damaged Normal template, or (3) corrupt registry entries for Word. You can troubleshoot these in order by following the instructions at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/921541.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Wednesday, July 27, 2016 6:41 PM
  • Hi Darren,

How is it going? Please feel free to post back if you need further assistance.

Regards,

Ethan Hua

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, July 29, 2016 2:32 AM