RDP connection constantly drops. RRS feed

• Question

• I currently have a new Dell Latitude E4310 with Windows 7 32-bit installed. Browsing online and checking e-mail works just fine. However, I want to RDP to my Windows 2000 Server Terminal Services, but the connection constantly drops after a variable amount of time of staying connected. The connection may last from a few seconds to several minutes and then the screen freezes for several seconds, after which an error message stating "Your remote desktop session has ended," appears. This problem does not occur on a Lenovo ThinkPad T400 also running Windows 7 32-bit.

Steps I have tried:

1) Allowed RDP through the firewall.

2) Disabled the firewall.

3) Done a "clean boot" with all startup items and 3rd party services disabled.

4) Used only the wireless LAN or only wired ethernet.

5) Installed latest drivers for both WLAN and LAN.

6) Updated Windows 7 (client) and Windows 2000 (server)

7) Reformatted and done a clean install of Windows 7 with only network drivers.

I am not a computer guru nor am I the person who set up this network. If anyone knows how to solve, work-around, or just even diagnose the problem, I'd be eternally grateful.

Friday, December 10, 2010 12:06 AM

Answers

• hi sy5488, have you tried disabling the advanced networking features in win7?

I'd try the following and see if it helps.

Launch elevated command prompt -> type netsh int tcp set global rss=disabled netdma=disabled autotuninglevel=disabled chimney=disabled -> hit enter -> See if rdp is anymore stable.

Friday, December 10, 2010 1:08 AM