none
The Project Web App Site path is invalid. RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hello!

    We have found an orhaned record in our Project Server 2010 environment. When we try to create a instances called ABC (which was deleted before), we got the following error message.

    "The Project Web App Site path is invalid. Correct path and try again."

    "The database specified is already used by another project server. Enter a different server or database name and try again."

    I have checked the Site collections, but there is no entry for the site ABC. Additional, we can see some orphaned jobs in the Scheduled Jobs page for the PWA site ABC.

    Also under Perform a backup, we can see the databases for instance ABC.

    How can we removed these entries?

    Many thanks

    JOerg

     

    Thursday, March 10, 2011 4:23 PM

Answers

  • Hello!

     

    I have solved this by searching the orphaned records in the Sharepoint Configuration DB. There were some records which points to that in the table Objects.

    You have to search for the Instance or DB names in the Name and Properties column and note the IDs for these datasets.

    After that, run stsadm -o deleteconfigurationobject -id <ID> on the Sharepoint Server for all these found IDs.

    After running that, all records in the Backup or Job window were removed and I was also able to provision the site with the same names again.

    Best regards,

    Joerg

    Friday, March 11, 2011 8:11 AM

All replies

  • Hi,

    Did you delete the database for this site from your SQL Server when you delete the PWA? if not, delete the four data bases of this site and try to generate again you new PWA, when you delete a PWA instance from your CA the data bases stay in SQL, and maybe you are using the same name for the data bases.

    I hope this help you.

     

     


    Raymundo Chapa, MCTS Project Server and Team Foundation Server
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 6:51 PM
  • No, the DBs are already removed from the SQL Server. When I look at the Review upgrade status in Central Admin, I can see the databases, but the status shows "Not Responding"

     

    Joerg

    Thursday, March 10, 2011 8:54 PM
  • What about just provisioning the new site, but using different database names?
     Something like PWA2_Archive
     
     

    Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Twitter: @alavinsky
    Thursday, March 10, 2011 10:58 PM
    Moderator
  • Hello!

     

    I have solved this by searching the orphaned records in the Sharepoint Configuration DB. There were some records which points to that in the table Objects.

    You have to search for the Instance or DB names in the Name and Properties column and note the IDs for these datasets.

    After that, run stsadm -o deleteconfigurationobject -id <ID> on the Sharepoint Server for all these found IDs.

    After running that, all records in the Backup or Job window were removed and I was also able to provision the site with the same names again.

    Best regards,

    Joerg

    Friday, March 11, 2011 8:11 AM
  • Joerg,

    I have the same issue, what is the ID you were searching

    Neel

    Thursday, October 27, 2011 4:45 PM
  • Easiest way to resolve this is following.

    Run the following commands step by step in PowerShell:

    $serviceapp = get-spserviceapplication | ? {$_.DisplayName –like “<Name of your Project server application>”}

    $pwainstances = $serviceapp.Sitecollection

    $pwainstances

    <Look for an ophaned record in the output and read out the ID for this orphaned site>

    $toberemoved = $pwainstances | ? {$_.Id –eq “<Id of the orphaned site>”} 

      

    $toberemoved

    $toberemoved.Delete()

     

    Joerg

    Thursday, October 27, 2011 6:39 PM
  • Joerg,

    Thank you for your powershell.

    I found out that , PWA databases were not deleted.. went and deleted them, now I was getting a different error

    "String not recognized as valid boolean value"

    Upon looking into the issue in detail, googling around found out that

    The behavior has changed in the August 2011 CU.  After the second postback, the Administrator's name will become unresolved and will force the administrator to resolve the name.

    If you attempt to configure a second (or more) Project Server Web Access site via the UI, you may encounter this error with SP1 and the June CU

    A work around is to delete the Administrator name, and simply retype it.  For some reason, if you’re on the PWA creation page, and perform a postback (e.g. change Web Applications), there is an extra space prefixed to the Administrator name which causes the above error.  You can easily test this by selecting one Web Application, then another, and finally another; you’ll encounter the above error.

    http://sharepoint.nauplius.net/2011/08/workaround-for-june-cu-pwa-site.html

     

     

    Thursday, October 27, 2011 8:19 PM