Program icon in the taskbar show as unknown icons RRS feed

• Question

• Hey everybody,

I've had this problem with the taskbar and with 2 programs I've seen, Fraps and Firefox (which I use) I open them with the shortcut on the Taskbar but after a while it moves to another icon which is like there is no picture in the icon (See pictures)

How can and if I can, fix this?

Picture:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vo555ierw4qovpq/Screenshot%202015-01-04%2003.53.12.png?dl=0

Picture nr 2:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wmm0cu8r9izhu41/icons.PNG?dl=0

Sunday, January 4, 2015 4:08 AM

All replies

• I shall suggest you to delete both the shortcuts and recreate again. Do you find any changes?

S.Sengupta, Windows Entertainment and Connected Home MVP

Sunday, January 4, 2015 7:53 AM
  • Nope, it did not fix it.
    Sunday, January 4, 2015 1:42 PM
  • Hi,

From the snapshot you pasted above, other pinned icons are working correctly except firefox (maybe Fraps).

it should be like this

The taskbar pinned icons information are stored under

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Taskband]

maybe some corruptions exist in the registry key "Taskband", as a test, please first export the registry entry to desktop, then delete the  key "Taskband", restart explorer.exe, then re-pin the program to taskbar, system will automatically rebuild the registry key "Taskband".

And if possible, I simply suggest you uninstall and reinstall the firefox (or Fraps), this can help us eliminate some corruptions in firefox or Fraps.

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, January 5, 2015 7:20 AM
  • I'm sorry, I don't understand where I should look the [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Taskband] up because when I put it in explorer it just opens a tab in firefox that says "No server found"

Where should I find this?

Monday, January 5, 2015 3:09 PM
  • Hi,

This is a registry key, please press Win+R, then type regedit.exe, enterm this will launch the register editor, then please expand the registry to the path I pasted above

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Taskband

you will find the key there, please backup the registry first if you're not familiar with it, cause any incorrect operation can cause unexpected damage.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-hk/windows/back-up-registry#1TC=windows-7

And have you tried to reinstall the firefox as a test, cause it also seems like an application issue (as well as Fraps)(if you want to remain some data in firefox, you can refer to guide firefox website for backup)

Yolanda Zhu

Friday, January 9, 2015 2:52 AM
  • I deleted the Taskband key and restarted. Firefox still has a unknown icon in the taskbar, but firefox pinned icon is still there. Also Fraps doesn't have a unknown icon anymore, only firefox..
    Saturday, January 10, 2015 7:53 PM
  • Hi,

So only firefox has this issue now?, have you tried to unpin the icon, then reinstall firefox, re-pin firefox, check the result?

Regards

Yolanda Zhu

Monday, January 12, 2015 2:46 AM