none
FQL - a few questions RRS feed

• Question

• I need to build a custom web part used for searching that uses some of the FAST search functionalities (synonyms, stemming, spellchecker) and have a few questions.

1. When executing a FQL query using .NET code (using KeywordQuery class) - do the results automatically include synonyms and stemming?

2. When searching using a OOTB search box the results sometimes include 'Did you mean' link - is it possible to get a spell-checker-corrected query from the .net object? (e.g. ResultTableCollection class).

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 9:58 AM

All replies

• Hi

1. Synonyms - no, since they are only applied to KQL. Stemming - yes, since it's applied to the documents at indexing time.

2. I have tested it, but I assume you get the corrected query here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/microsoft.office.server.search.query.resulttablecollection.querymodification.aspx

Best regards

Thomas Svensen | Microsoft Consulting Services
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 12:53 PM
  • Thanks for your answer.

Synonyms - is there a different way of taking advantage of FAST synonyms in a custom web part without manually looping through them and rewriting and executing a number of different queries and then combining the results?

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 1:00 PM
  • Yes, I suggest you take a look at how Mikael implemented it in his CodePlex project:

http://spsearchparts.codeplex.com/

I.e., he caches the list of synonyms and expands the FQL before passing it to FAST.

Best regards

Thomas Svensen | Microsoft Consulting Services
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 1:06 PM
  • Thanks a lot.

Stemming and synonyms work fine (in both web part and user interface)

However the QueryModification (as well as SpellingSuggestion) properties are always empty.
    (I've tried it with EnableSpellcheck = SpellcheckMode.Suggest and EnableSpellcheck = SpellcheckMode.On).

Is there a dictionary file that should be uploaded somewhere?
    From the central admin I can only manage exceptions.

Or is there maybe some global setting somewhere? (the spellchecker doesn't work in UI either)

Thursday, September 29, 2011 3:01 PM
  • More info:

On FAST server the Get-FASTSearchSpelltuningStatus returns 'Spelltuning is active.'.

Running 'Reset-FASTSearchSpelltuning' always results in timeout, but running nctrl restart spelltuner works fine.

I also noticed that 'C:\FASTSearch\data\spelltuner' folder is empty, not sure if it should?

Spellchecker is enabled in Search Core Results web part (Enable Spellchecking = Suggest).

Thursday, September 29, 2011 3:35 PM