How to automatically link all non-bolded words to their bolded counterparts? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a 1000 page technical document.

It's full of "chapter headers" numbered like this: "Chapter 1.1.3"
    The "chapters headers" are all in bold and font size 14.

Hundreds of pages later, the technical text will reference these sections in non-bold size 10 font.

It takes forever to jump back and forth.

I need to be able to 'hyperlink' the non-bold, smaller text of the otherwise identical chapter number sequences so that when clicked, they automatically jump to the bold chapter headers.

This is different than a table of contents, since the section headers are all throughout the 1000 page technical document.

How to do this?

Saturday, April 28, 2012 9:11 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I need to be able to 'hyperlink' the non-bold, smaller text of the otherwise identical chapter number sequences so that when clicked, they automatically jump to the bold chapter headers.
    This is different than a table of contents, since the section headers are all throughout the 1000 page technical document.

I don't see the difference. What you want seems to be a TOC. Or do you want to insert cross-references?

Regards
    Lisa [MS MVP Word]

Saturday, April 28, 2012 11:15 AM
  • Are you perhaps describing cross-references? These can be inserted via Insert tab | Cross-reference (in Word 2007/2010) or via Insert | References | Cross-reference (Word 2003).

On the other hand, if you are trying to create an "alternative" TOC, please describe in what way it is different from your usual ones. Note that a document may contain several TOCs.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Saturday, April 28, 2012 1:09 PM
  • It's different than a table of contents because a reference to chapter 1 section 4 may be on page 893, and Chapter 1 section 4 may be on page 293. It's not a TOC which is all linking to the very start of the book.

The book has about 12,000 cross references needed, which is why I need to be able to associate ALL text duplicates to their bold and higher font size counterparts automatically

Saturday, April 28, 2012 4:34 PM
  • Are the Chapter headers formatted with Word's heading Styles? If so, which ones? How much of each Chapter header is included in your chapter references?

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Sunday, April 29, 2012 4:14 AM