none
Requirement Details Report - Portfolio Analysis RRS feed

• Question

• In PS2013 (or 2010) is there a way to export the Requirements Details view (in Portfolio Analysis) to Excel? Are the underlying SQL queries accessible?

rgds

Mike Mahoney

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 1:39 PM

All replies

• Hi Mike,

You'll surely be disappointed by the Excel export from the portfolio view, since you'll loose all formating and charts. But you can anyway try from the "opions" tab in the ribbon the excel export button.

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 2:06 PM
  • Hi Guillaume

Thanks for the pointer, I had only looked at the options tab in context of cost analysis.

Having looked at the Resource Analysis options they seem to be functional only in the Gantt Chart view (and not requirements detail - so as you say disappointing). Even then it is not immediately obvious to me what all of them do.

- Units (display is always FTE - what does cost option do?)

- Type (Internal \ External)

- Allocation threshold?

I need to carry out a little more investigation.

rgds

Mike Mahoney

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 2:42 PM
  • Hi Mike,

This is indeed a big subject that requires a lot of tests and some reading.

You could refer to the documentation to read white papers and technet articles here (in 2010, but almost the same features):

• http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg715564.aspx
    • http://azlav.umtblog.com/2011/11/02/generic-resources-and-portfolio-analysis/

Hope this helps.

Guillaume Rouyre - MBA, MCP, MCTS

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 2:53 PM
  • Mike,

Not the best method, but you can do a "Ctrl+C" on the grid, and a "Ctrl+V" into Excel. and once in excel you can use some conditional formatting to replicate the requirement details report.

I understand in PS2013, the portfolio analysis data has been exposed for reporting, but I have not played with it enough to write a report yet. 

Prasanna Adavi,PMP,MCTS,MCITP,MCT http://thinkepm.blogspot.com

Wednesday, March 26, 2014 5:23 PM
  • Hi Prasanna

The copy and paste approach is pretty unsatisfactory and so you are left with the Surplus\Deficits report as a timephased excel output.

I had a brief look at the database and it does not seem to me that the data is readily available. The data I did see was in "pub" tables surrounded by guids.

Extending this thread a little further I hit a couple of issues:

1)The Hired Resource report

This failed for me when type was set to external (internal was fine) with

The action you requested could not be completed for the following reasons:

• An unknown error has occurred.
    • An unknown error has occurred

The uls log suggested this might be a memory problem - it would be helpful to know if this was my issue and not a bug.

2)Selected Projects in the portfolio with no resources (either in res or proj plan or outside timeframe) would not allow analysis to proceed (x projects have no resources). This was very limiting and seems strange as the Gant Chart view has a column "Has Resource Requirements" (set to Yes). Does 2010 behave in this way?

rgds

Mike Mahoney

Friday, March 28, 2014 1:45 PM