Attachment column on a Sharepoint list RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to create several attachment columns in a list so that user can upload a file to that specific column only. I don't want to upload all the files to a list. For example I want to create a column name "Status Report" and upload a file to  that column, then create more attachment columns so that I can attach another specific file to that column. I don't have access to writing codes since this is a company-monitored SharePoint site. Any help is appreciated. I've been frying my brain out trying to find a solution to this. I don't want to have to use hyperlink workaround. Please help!
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 6:05 AM

Answers

• Hi KIM2Q4U,

Assume that you want to store the files according to different types and make user to find file easily according to required type or something else.

you can use one attachment column to uploade the file and use another "Choice" type column to predifine choices of the file types(e.g. word, pdf, png, etc.) in order to show the attachment file type, then you can use "Group by" function in "Modify this view" page to group the list items with same type.

You can add the more choice columns (e.g. status report, other report) if needed, and you can also create different list views with using "Filter" function to filter these choice columns value.

Thanks

Daniel Yang

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, January 12, 2012 7:22 AM

All replies

• KIM2Q4U,

I can't think of a way to do that OOB with SharePoint, but is it possible that you could accomplish what you want using a document library and content types?  For example, in a document library you can create folders to house documents that are related to the same item/project/issue.  You can then create content types for each of the different attachments that you expect to have (i.e. Status Report), and upload each one to the folder.  The nice thing about content types is that you can capture details specific to the type of document from the user when they upload.  With this option you also do not have to use folders; you can instead group the files by a metadata column that you create (i.e. a lookup or choice column with the item/project/issue title).

That may or may not work, if not please provide a little more background on your business need, it might help others to know why the default attachment functionality is not working for you in this specific scenario.

Thanks,
    Chanda

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 3:42 PM
  • Thankyou for your reply.  I don't think that will work because there will be all types of different documents, from PDF, scanned images, Excel, Word, PNG files, etc, and they could be the same content just different formats.  Since there will be many uploading, I want to make it less confusing to what the document is about. That is my goal.  I want it to be like a form where I would say Status Report: and the user will upload their status report to that column. There are so many more documents to be uploaded that I want to make it user friendly to find them disregard the naming of the docs.
    Many thanks, KD
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 4:38 PM
  • Also I don't think Content Type is an available function on my Sharepoint 2007 from work.
    Many thanks, KD
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 4:42 PM
  • Content types are a fundamental element of SharePoint, so yes, you do have them. Using a document library for you want might be a better solution. A library can contain any combination of document types so you can include your PDFs, Word, PNG and other file types. Content types are a means for associating metadata to information, they are not document types. With lists you are basically attaching documents to metadata while with libraries you are attaching metadata to documents. It sounds like what you want to do is attach metadata to documents. Hence a library would be a better way to go.
    Imagine what we could be...If we could just imagine. Daniel A. Galant
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 6:14 PM
  • Hi,

You can follow these steps as an alternative to your requirement.

Add columns to your list and create them as hyperlink.

Now upload your documents as an attachments to the list and put these URLs into these columns.

I hope this will help you out.

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 7:56 PM
  • Thank you, but hyperlinks are not ideal since the users will be the one uploading the documents. There will be so many documents to upload and they will keep changing. I will not be able to keep track of everything and update the hyperlinks at this rate.

Many thanks, KD
    Thursday, January 12, 2012 4:35 AM
  • Hi KIM2Q4U,

Assume that you want to store the files according to different types and make user to find file easily according to required type or something else.

you can use one attachment column to uploade the file and use another "Choice" type column to predifine choices of the file types(e.g. word, pdf, png, etc.) in order to show the attachment file type, then you can use "Group by" function in "Modify this view" page to group the list items with same type.

You can add the more choice columns (e.g. status report, other report) if needed, and you can also create different list views with using "Filter" function to filter these choice columns value.

Thanks

Daniel Yang

TechNet Community Support

Thursday, January 12, 2012 7:22 AM
  • Brilliant!!!  This was such an awesome fix for a quick view into attachments.

Cynthia Duke

Monday, December 7, 2015 3:33 PM
  • Hi,

It is possible to upload the file with the current date and time using infopath forms??

Thursday, October 20, 2016 12:23 PM