Can't set temp files folder or set cache size RRS feed

• Question

• I have a workstation that will not download files, or pick up the auto-proxy settings. Other workstations on the same network work fine, so it is not the user profile or proxy server/config. It happens to all users on this workstation, including the local admin account.

I have reset IE settings, doesn;t fix. Downloaded and run 4 or five fix-it tools (I used Chrome or another PC to download). I have removed IE from the windows features and settings, rebooted, and added back. Windows update works, updated it to all latest security patches. If I go to open the downloads folder, it does nothing (Tools-View Downloads), just drops back to the normal browse window. If I try and check/set the temp files, Tools->Options->Browse and click Settings, I see there is no current temp file location (not even for the loacl admin). I try and set it (by moving) to C:\Users\admininstrator (%username%)\appdata\local\microsoft\windows\Temporary Internet Files\ it accepts, then asks me to log off. Log back on and it's not set. I try and set the Disk space to use for cache as it is set to zero, and it will ONLY accept 8MB then when I click save (close or whatever), I go back and it is still 0MB.

I have run sfc /scannow, I have reset all user permissions on the Admin user folder.

Sooo00, I use Google Chrome and it works fine - picks up the autoproxy, downloads, opens the download folder. I've disabled all the add-ons. If I set the proxy to autodiscovery, IE hangs and does not disply anything. If I set the proxy script, it does not work. If I manually set the proxy server and port, browsing is fine except it won't download files when you click on them to save, won't open pdf's.

This all used to work until sometime over Christmas.

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 10:59 PM

Answers

• Hi,

So we are using IE 11 here? And are we in a domain environment?

In addition, have we checked if this issue exists in saft mode with networking.?

When doing the uninstallation, please first take a check to see if the previous version of IE could work with the settings mentioned above, after that, take a try to install IE 11 by manually download it from the below link:

Download Internet Explorer 11 

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Wednesday, April 2, 2014 2:53 AM
    Friday, March 21, 2014 9:05 AM

All replies

• Hi,

So we are using IE 11 here? And are we in a domain environment?

In addition, have we checked if this issue exists in saft mode with networking.?

When doing the uninstallation, please first take a check to see if the previous version of IE could work with the settings mentioned above, after that, take a try to install IE 11 by manually download it from the below link:

Download Internet Explorer 11 

Best regards

Michael Shao
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Wednesday, April 2, 2014 2:53 AM
    Friday, March 21, 2014 9:05 AM
  • I'll try this, yes it is IE11. It's Win 7 Pro.
    Sunday, March 30, 2014 6:32 PM