Unable to reduce PST File Size: Discrepancy in File Size shown RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone.

I have an issue with Outlook 2007 on a Dell Vostro Labtop / Windows 7 Professional. I will shortly change to a new labtop and migrate from Office 2007 to Office 2010. To prepare, I tried to reduce PST file size to minimum for optional Outlook performance on the new computer by archiving maximum amount of Emails. After I was done I checked File Size of "Personal Folder" (pst) :

Going into Outlook application / right clicking on my "Personal Folders" - Properties/ and after click on Folder Size - the file size shows a healthy File Size of only 439,404 KB.

However the Outlook PST file located in C: > Users >username >My Documents shows a File size of 9,049,041 KB - way too much for Outlook 2007 (and it shows in continous Performance problems like Non Responsive / Frozen etc

So with the Personal Folder we have a discrepancy of 8.5 GB.

Can you help me to identify the problem, so my new Labtop / Outlook 2010 can start with a healthy file size without performance issues? (already tried the "File Compact" feature / no results.)

Thank you very much / Werner

PS:  When I do the same File Size Check with my Archive Folder, the File Size shown is 16,610,484 KB while the actual file located on C:>Users>username>AppData>Local>Microsoft>Outlook>archive.pst shows a File Size of 19,921,361 - so we also have a discrepancy with the Archive Folders but not as massive as with the Personal Folder.

Sunday, April 15, 2012 7:18 PM

Answers

• Hello Don

just wanted to thank you for your tip.

Issue resolved / I exported the entire PST Folder into a new file / and / yoohoo /  the 9.1 GB turned into 0.5 GB. How simple was that .... should have thought of it myself .... I m sure Outlook 2010 on my new Computer will be running as fast as a Cheetah ...

best regards / Werner Staub 

Werner Staub

• Marked as answer by Rex Zhang Wednesday, April 18, 2012 12:49 AM
    Tuesday, April 17, 2012 5:16 PM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, you can eliminate deleted item space from pst files to reduce the file size refer to the following article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289987

Sincerely
    Rex Zhang

Rex Zhang

TechNet Community Support

Monday, April 16, 2012 8:09 AM
  • Hello Rex

thanks for your answer. The tip in that link does not resolve the issue.  As I have written in my original post, I have already done that step (file size compacting). The PST file  stays on same size (over 9 GB)  / while according to the folders that are in my Outlook "Personal Folder".

Please have a look on the attached screenshot. Any further advice from you or anyone else in the forum?

Thanks and best regards

Werner Staub

Monday, April 16, 2012 7:09 PM
  • Hi,

such a large discrepancy is worrying, I would consider this "huge" PST file at risk of integrity failure and suggest you consider either copying out some content to a freshly created PST file or an export.

either of these actions will re-pack the content and rebuild the internal indexes, in a consistent way.

you might also search or seek further advice in the dedicated Outlook forum:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-au/outlook/threads

Don

• Edited by DonPick Tuesday, April 17, 2012 12:24 PM
    • Proposed as answer by DonPick Tuesday, April 17, 2012 9:00 PM
    Tuesday, April 17, 2012 12:21 PM
  • Hello Don

just wanted to thank you for your tip.

Issue resolved / I exported the entire PST Folder into a new file / and / yoohoo /  the 9.1 GB turned into 0.5 GB. How simple was that .... should have thought of it myself .... I m sure Outlook 2010 on my new Computer will be running as fast as a Cheetah ...

best regards / Werner Staub 

Werner Staub

• Marked as answer by Rex Zhang Wednesday, April 18, 2012 12:49 AM
    Tuesday, April 17, 2012 5:16 PM
  • If you facing some problem to visit third party tool for more detail follow this site:- 
    http://www.datavare.com/software/outlook-pst-compact-expert.html
    Thursday, April 5, 2018 7:50 AM
  • This Tool can help to reduce large outlook PST file, data is compressed without harming file quality.If you facing some problem to manage your multiple PST file & want to compress your all PST files in to single PST & also avoid the 2 GB file size limit at which MS Outlook corrupts your email leaving it inaccessible Compact PST that compact large size Outlook PST files and minimizes the risk of PST file corruption due to oversize. The effective solution separates attachments and stores them in a folder on the hard drive to compress over-sized PST file. you can download this software from here:-http://www.download.adwages.com/compress-pst-software/
    Wednesday, March 18, 2020 9:06 AM