Windows 7 Easy Transfer File Restore RRS feed

• Question

• When I attempt to restore my data located on my Easy Transfer file created when I prepared for an XP to windows 7 "upgrade" i receive the message "Windows Easy Transfer couldn't open the file."  Hopefully there's a workaround solution.
    Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    Monday, November 9, 2009 4:36 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi neilwmm,

Are you using the Windows Easy Transfer on Windows XP to do the backup? The backup file can only be used in Windows XP system. We will need to copy the Windows Easy Transfer on Windows 7 to Windows XP system to do the backup and restore steps.

If you performed an upgrade install, we should still find the windows.old file on system drive. Try to check if important files are still in there.

Or we may need to install a Windows XP system, restore files and redo the Windows Easy Transfer with the correct version to transfer files.

Exact steps please see here.

Tuesday, November 10, 2009 5:45 AM
  • hello shaon:
    thanks for getting back to me and taking a shot at my situation.  let me try to clarify a few points so you can better advise...
    as part of my windows 7 install from XP i used the EASY TRANSFER program to save my settings and data. 
    after the windows 7 install i attempted to move this information back over to windows 7 and encountered the "couldn't open file" message that i originally had a problem with.
    i attempted to use a MigRecover utility extraction tool but this failed.  so i think i'm at the point whereby i hope i can get back to where i started before i installed windows 7.
    it appears my programs were copied to windows.old directory on a D drive and it contains programs that i had on my XP system.
    so where do you think we should go from here and how do i get there?
    once again thanks for the assist.
    neilwmm

Monday, November 16, 2009 3:38 AM
  • Hi neilwmm,

The EASY TRANSFER you mentioned is the Windows XP one or not? As I mentioned, we will need to use the "Windows Easy Transfer for transferring from Windows XP (32 bit) to Windows 7" one to do the job.

Here is the tool:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=734917d8-0663-4c26-89d0-2d00b632ebdb

If you would like to back to the Windows XP system, please check if following steps are helpful:

How to restore a Windows 7-based computer to a previous Windows installation by using the Windows.old folder

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971760
    Monday, November 16, 2009 7:49 AM
  • Hi,
    I've just had the same error.

My problem is exasperated by the fact that my original harddisc died on my first attempt to move up to Win7 from XP. I even managed to use .mig on my first install attempt so I know they did work.

So now I have a new HD so I dont have any of the original XP install to take files from Windows.old.

Any help would be much appreciated. I have 10 years of family photos locked up in the .mig :(

Thanks Rog
    Saturday, November 21, 2009 3:57 PM
  • Hi Rog,

If your backup file is created in Windows XP with using the NTbackup on Windows XP system, we will still need to restore the files in a Windows XP system. Thus you can try to find a Windows XP installation disk, install a system temporarily and restore files back, backup them again so that we can transfer them to the new system.

If anything unclear, you are welcome to create a new topic.

Monday, November 23, 2009 3:12 AM
  • Hi Shaon,

I followed

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/upgrading-from-windows-xp-to-windows-7

to the letter when moving from XP to Win7. So I used downloaded and used the correct version of WET (as you mention in a few messages above this (Windows Easy Transfer for transferring from Windows XP (32 bit) to Windows 7). On my first attempt at the move from XP to Win7 everything went well; Win7 installed, WET worked, everything re-installed again, then disaster struck and my HDD died, totally died. I had no option to save the HDD so I went bought a new one and started from scratch; Installed XP up until SP2, custom installed Win7, all fine. Went to use WET to re-instate my photos, music etc and I got the "Windows Easy Transfer couldn't open the file" message.

I've trawelled the forums and even tried migrecover.exe but that has issues with defining a path to extract to. At least I can see the .mig still has my files though, its not corrupt or anything.

Hope you have other suggestions.

cheers
    ROG 
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 9:05 AM
  • Hello, Is anyone going to respond to me please. I still have this issue. Many thanks.

ROG
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 8:51 AM