none
Safe to use multiple instances of Excel? RRS feed

• Question

• In Windows 7 beta I find if I shift-click an open Excel 2007 button in the taskbar or depending on how a file is loaded from explorer, instead of 2 documents within the same MDI of one Excel instance, I end up with 2 Excel instances.

I actually prefer this as the thumbnail views actually work and it is easier to arrange different Excel documents side by side. Although some features won't work such as synchronous scrolling.

On the other hand, when trying to force multiple Excel instances in Vista I'd always get an error about some startup files already being in use and only being to open them as read only. I'm not getting that error in Windows 7. So is it safe to use multiple instances of Excel or is this going to lead to problems?

Any chance there will be an Excel update to make it more Windows 7 compatible before the next version of Office comes out? I hope they ditch the MDI concept once and for all. I've never found it to be a good interface and they've already ditched it in Word...
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 7:48 PM

Answers

• It should be jsut fine to run multiple instances.  I have run multiple instances of IE, Opera, Firefox among various other applications and i have not had a issue.
    ~Alex T.~Windows Desktop Experience MVP~
    Tuesday, January 20, 2009 8:53 PM