Multiple Instances of Servers appearing in Farm Topology RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

I have a web farm haveing 3 WFE server 2 database server (with active/passive cluster) and 2 app server

I have open the central admin, and there in Farm Topology i can see one service (Windows Sharepoint Services Database) 2 times, see the below

FARM TOPOLOGY

--------------------------

Server                                                          Services Running

24.22.56.124                                  Windows Sharepoint Services Database       

PASUNSTRESQLV1                            Windows Sharepoint Services Database

Above both the "Name" and "IP address" is of only one server, and i wanted to remove the IP address.

But my concern is if i removed the IP address, will it remove the "Name" also? (Means it should not removed name of the server)

Please provide information on this

Regards,

Pankaj Pawar

Thursday, June 2, 2011 1:32 PM

Answers

• You can't just remove the IP server without removing the functionality it supports.  AS I said you need to go through all your settings and find the instance(s) where you referred to the server by IP rather than name.  Once you find them you need to change them to point at the name of the server instead.  That's the only way to clean this up short of re-installing.
    Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    • Marked as answer by David HM Thursday, June 9, 2011 9:16 AM
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 11:23 AM

All replies

• I suspect that you used the straight IP address at some point when setting up a content database or a service application instead of the server name for the SQL server.  You need to find where those entries are and change them to the SQL server name.  That will remove the extra entry.  You know that both refer to the same server, but there is really no way for SharePoint to know that.  From its point of view they might be two separate servers.

If you use the Properties button for each service app in Manage Service Applications in Central Admin  you can see the name of the database server that you used when you created the service.  Just remember not all services use databases.  You can find the same information about each content database in Manage Content Database Settings.

Thursday, June 2, 2011 3:14 PM
  • if i removed one instance (IP addresss), will it affect other one?

I am just worried, it shouldnt removed other instance since both "Ip address" and "machine name" both are of same server.

Since this issue is on production  environement, i m more conscious.

Regards,

Pankaj Pawar

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 6:13 AM
  • You can't just remove the IP server without removing the functionality it supports.  AS I said you need to go through all your settings and find the instance(s) where you referred to the server by IP rather than name.  Once you find them you need to change them to point at the name of the server instead.  That's the only way to clean this up short of re-installing.
    • Marked as answer by David HM Thursday, June 9, 2011 9:16 AM
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 11:23 AM
  • Got it, thanks you !!
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 11:29 AM