Outlook 365 keeps asking for Microsoft account information when I start Outlook (outlook anywhere) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

I have a client where I set up Outlook Anywhere on an Exchange Server 2016. It works fine with Outlook 365 except for one problem:

every time I start Outlook it asks me to sign in with a Microsoft account:

I don't want to sign in with a Microsoft account so I click the X. Then Outlook works fine. I know it's a small detail, but It's annoying when you can't remove it completely. Everytime I restart Outlook it pops up again.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem? ( I've tried removing all saved credentials found in the control panel, I readded the account, I tried 3 different systems with the same effect on all of them )

Thanks in advance!

silbro

Monday, June 24, 2019 1:28 PM

Answers

• Hi Aidan

Unfortunately this didn't work either. I've even removed all the accounts listed and it didn't help. A workaround was to add this Outlook anywhere account to an existing profile. So there are basically 2 Accounts within this 1 profile. So that has worked, but wasn't really the solution I was searching for initially. But since the client thinks this is great, I'll just close this thread.

Thank you all for the tips and advices, I really appreciated your support!

- silbro

• Marked as answer by silbro Wednesday, July 3, 2019 12:05 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by silbro Wednesday, July 3, 2019 12:05 PM
    • Marked as answer by silbro Wednesday, July 3, 2019 1:10 PM
    Wednesday, July 3, 2019 12:03 PM

All replies

• Hi Silbro,

According to my research, you may be using Windows 10. And in Windows 10 you can use included apps like Mail, Maps, and Music without a Microsoft account. However, all the online features that allow you to sync your data and purchases between your devices will require a Microsoft account(The picture shown above).

So every time you start Outlook, you'll be prompted to add a Microsoft account to sync your data.

If you wouldn't like to sign in with a Microsoft account, please refer to the suggestion of Billion Debbarma in this article to sign in with a local account.

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 7:47 AM
  • Hi Aidan

Thank for your answer. The users I have the problem with are either already local users or are users in a domain. I didn't find the solution on that page for this given situation.

But you are right, it seems that the apps want to have a Microsoft account. Is there no way to just turn that off?

Thanks!

- silbro

Wednesday, June 26, 2019 1:34 PM
  • The license for Office in your case is tied to the user account of the user. You need to log in with an Office 365 account that has a license for Office assigned to it for this to go away. You need only do this once.
    Wednesday, June 26, 2019 1:39 PM
  • Hi Adam

Thanks for the tip, unfortunately this doesn't seem to work. 

I have Office 365 and I'm logged in so the license is activated:

But neither does this account work for the microsoft account login (because it isn't a microsoft account) nor do I want to login with a microsoft account for any reason (but I still tried to). Strange is that this only pops up when I connect via Outlook anywhere, other Outlook profiles don't behave this way.

Thanks!

silbro

Wednesday, June 26, 2019 2:44 PM
  • Hi Silbro,

Thanks for your updates.

Do you remove your Microsoft Account before you sign in with a local account?

1. Open Control Panel > User Accounts.
    2. Click manage your credentials > Windows Credentials.
    3. On the Generic Credentials tab, click on the drop down Next to your Microsoft Account logon > Click Remove and test again to see if there is any difference.

Besides, there is another article for your reference.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, June 28, 2019 8:39 AM
  • Hi,

Have you got your issue fixed?

Please try my suggestions and let me know the results.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Tuesday, July 2, 2019 7:53 AM
  • Hi Aidan

Unfortunately this didn't work either. I've even removed all the accounts listed and it didn't help. A workaround was to add this Outlook anywhere account to an existing profile. So there are basically 2 Accounts within this 1 profile. So that has worked, but wasn't really the solution I was searching for initially. But since the client thinks this is great, I'll just close this thread.

Thank you all for the tips and advices, I really appreciated your support!

- silbro

• Marked as answer by silbro Wednesday, July 3, 2019 12:05 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by silbro Wednesday, July 3, 2019 12:05 PM
    • Marked as answer by silbro Wednesday, July 3, 2019 1:10 PM
    Wednesday, July 3, 2019 12:03 PM