none
Robocopy File Definitions

Question

• Hi Guys,

I am using robocopy to copy files to a new server as part of a server migration from Windows 2003 to Windows 2012 server.

The command I am using is (Slashes have been reversed):-

robocopy  //ServerName/ShareName/Folder1 //ServerName2/ShareName2/Folder2  /S /E /SEC /COPYALL /COPY:DATSO /V /NP /R:10 /W:30

All works fine and the files are copied.

I just need to know more about the various File Definitions displayed when the command is run please?

The following file definitions are what I need explaining:-

Tweaked

Modified

Extra

I have ran the command twice in half an hour and the number of tweaked and modified seems to be very high.

Thanks for any help you are able to provide

Richard

Tuesday, December 13, 2016 12:27 PM

All replies

• Hi Richard,

>>I just need to know more about the various File Definitions displayed when the command is run please?

According to my experience and searching:

A Tweaked file is defined to be one that exists in both the source and destination, with identical size and timestamp, but different attribute settings.

An "extra" file is present in destination but not source; excluding extras will prevent any deletions from the destination.

A modified file is means that when you did some operations on some files the attribute of file time will be changed.

Besides, I suppose only the developers of robocopy could do detailed and deeper explanations.

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Andy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, December 14, 2016 6:32 AM