SCOM Alert connector and alert routing template RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Experts,

Very Very new to SCSM and Orchestrator, i am trying to achieve the following:

I have two IIS virtual servers monitored by SCOM

SCOM connectors are created and when ever an alert is raised in SCOM it is generating an incident in Service Manager which is fine

i want to scale out a scvmm service template in which two vms are already deployed from service templates

The scale process should be automated through orchestrator

i have created a group in scom for IIS computers but it seems that group would not come to scsm which is why i have created a group in service manager

I want that when ever an alert is raised for Computer 1 and Computer 2 specifically for IIS website the alert should be created in an desired incident template in which i will add the run book activity but it seems there is no option for this.

i have created the service manager group and have added computer 1 and computer 2 with dynamic members, but when i go to scom alert connector and click on alert routing to use specific template i do not have any option to define that the alert should come from these two servers and for specific IIS alerts then you should use this template but if an alert came for windows update service stopped then do not use this template i dont see any option to define this specific cretia, right now what is happeing is that what ever alerts comes from these two servers comes in the required templates which i dont want, in this way when ever alert comes it trigger the orchestrator to create a new vm. i want to that the alert should be IIS and should come from these two servers then use the template else do not use this template please let me know how to achieve this. Please help me

If answer is helpful, please hit the green arrow on the left, or mark as answer. Salahuddin | Blogs:http://salahuddinkhatri.wordpress.com | MCITP Microsoft Lync

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 6:13 PM

Answers

• Using an Orchestrator runbook for this is also an option.

"Monitor alert" (with filtering) -> "Create Incident from template"

Andreas Baumgarten | H&D International Group

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 10:21 AM

All replies

• It looks like you have to create your own monitor in a management pack in SCOM.

- If you use SCSM groups you can add a routing rule based on the membership of the group. But no chance to add the criteria "IIS alerts" only

- If you use the generic SCOM "IIS monitoring rule" you can't filter for the 2 servers

Maybe this approach works (just a draft and not tested):

Create your own management pack containing the 2 servers (SCOM group) and monitor the IIS related things. Use the "Operations Manager Management Pack containing the Rule or Monitor raising the alert" option in the "Alert Routing Rule" to apply the template.

Hope this helps.   

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 12:34 AM
  • Thanks Andreas,

Well that makes sense, now the question is how to create a management pack which contains these two servers and contains only IIS rules. Can you help me plz in this case.

If answer is helpful, please hit the green arrow on the left, or mark as answer. Salahuddin | Blogs:http://salahuddinkhatri.wordpress.com | MCITP Microsoft Lync

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 4:49 AM
  • Maybe this is helpful to point you in the right direction:

Targets and Objects

Monitors and Rules

Hope this helps.

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 5:43 AM
  • Thanks for your reply,

Is there a possibility that instead of cerating a mp in scom i would use some filters in orchestrator run book instead, any idea

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 8:48 AM
  • Using an Orchestrator runbook for this is also an option.

"Monitor alert" (with filtering) -> "Create Incident from template"

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 10:21 AM