Certain applications not opening RRS feed

• Question

• I don't know if it is a vista problem or a DirectX 10 problem, but I have experienced some small problems lately trying to run some programs. All the programs I tried are kind of related to DirectX which lead me to that possible conclusion.

An example on the programs I tried is one that is called "Game Maker", could be found here http://www.gamemaker.nl, it isn't a very complex program, but yet it doesn't run.

For accuracy, I must say that it /does/ run, and could be viewed in the process list, it just doesn't view at all, and can't be shown in the Applications tab in the taxt manager.

Is this something wrong with the program or a problem with vista?

I've seen quite a lot of similar problems for many applications, so I don't think they all just have the same problem.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 5:36 PM

All replies

• I can't speak to your specific application, but I remember reading a release note about some games that run DirectX9 not working properly in Vista Beta 2. The workaround for at least one of them was to run the game in OpenGL mode for the time being. DirectX functionality depends not just on the code in the game and the DirectX code on the system, but also on good DirectX support for the video card. Since most video card drivers are in beta at this time, there are a number of points in the chain where it may not perform the way we expect it to.
    Tuesday, June 13, 2006 6:16 PM
  • Hopefully you are right, but can anything the developer of this application can make to bypass this problem or is it something that will be corrected?

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 5:16 PM
  • You might want to write to the developer of the application and encourage him/her to test it on Windows Vista, especially since the beta is publicly available. There are MSDN forums dedicated to application compatiblity for Vista with an emphasis on the programming side.

However, as noted previously: DirectX issues may come from the OS's implementation of DirectX, from the application's use of DirectX, or from the video driver's interpretation of DirectX commands. The application's developer, running their code in debug mode on Vista, would have the ability to get more information about which of those issues is causing the problem - if it is actually a DirectX problem.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 7:18 PM
  • Nvidia and ATI both have Vista compatible drivers, check their respective webpages to download the drivers for your card, you may also want to try and run the application in a compatability mode, right click the shortcut to the game and choose properties, choose the compatibility tab and set it for Windows Xp SP2. see if that helps till better drivers are written
    Thursday, June 15, 2006 8:56 PM
  • Nope, that doesn't work.

I have already downloaded the latest nVidia Vista Drivers from their site and tried to run the application in Compatibility Mode XP SP2, still the same result.

The application runs in the background and consumes A LOT of memory and processing (unlike when run in XP). However, it has been said by the developer of the application that it is a 'standard program', meaning it is supposed to run.

Sunday, June 18, 2006 3:53 PM
  • I assume you've tried right clicking the executable / shortcut and selecting 'Run as Administrator...'? I've had MUCH more luck running apps that way... especially games or other complex apps.

(..and yes this includes accounts in the Administrators group, oddly enough)

Monday, June 26, 2006 7:11 PM
  • I have tried, same result, identically.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 6:48 PM
  • Hi,

You stated above, "However, it has been said by the developer of the application that it is a 'standard program', meaning it is supposed to run." Not really being clear on what 'standard program' implied, I did some reading on the program maker's site. I couldn't search the support forums without an account, but you might want to run a search on their forums for "Vista" and see what you can learn from the folks there now that the beta is public.

This in particular caught my eye: "The maker part is heavily based on the Windows API. This makes it rather difficult to port it to a different platform. The runner part is based on DirectX (version 8.0 at the moment to keep it compatible with most older computers). Again, this makes it difficult to port it to other platforms. Don't expect versions that can make games for e.g. hand-held devices because of the many incomptibilities."

In addition to the fact that the game author states the application is very closely tied to prior Windows version APIs, the program is written in Delphi 7 (the current release of the Delphi environment is version 9) and it relies on DirectX 8.0. Therefore, you won't be able to disable DirectX and use it.

If the developer is interested in making sure the program runs under Vista, I'd encourage him to visit the MSDN developers' forums and see whether there's any good community knowledge about Delphi or his specific API calls available. However, there are too many factors at work here to be able to say that one specific issue is causing the problem, or even to be sure that changing anything in Vista would cause it to begin working again.

I realize this may not be the answer you were looking for, but I went to the extent of downloading this application on a recent build of Vista to see if I could help, and what I got in my event log upon attempting to run it was:

Faulting application GAME_M~1.EXE, version 6.1.3.0, time stamp 0x2a425e19, faulting module GAME_M~1.EXE, version 6.1.3.0, time stamp 0x2a425e19, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x00003c02, process id0xe18, application start time 0x01c69af7f1d27870.

This is a generic application error (ID 1000). It's worth noting that in my more recent build of Vista it does fail completely, and does not leave a running task behind.

Wednesday, June 28, 2006 9:22 PM
  • I do know what you say is completely correct, and I have contacted the application developer about windows vista, but he seems very sure that it will work in the final Vista release, I can give you quotes about what he said:

I would be extremely surprised if Game Maker would not run properly under Vista. So there is nothing to worry about.

But, as pointed out before, the computer specs for Vista are huge. And they use a completely new driver model. This means that many current machines are not (yet) compatible with it. Minimal specs are something like DirectX9 compatible graphics card with at least 64M memory and 512 MB internal memory and 20 GB free on the harddisk. Prefered specs are 4 times that. (Note that it is not the processor that is the issue but graphics and memory.) Also Vista realy prefers PCI-express, not AGP.

You really should only try out the beta if you have a very strong computer.

Mark

That post was regarding a build prior to Beta 2, however, he has remained with the same point of view, saying:
    As I said before, I am convinced that Game Maker will run correctly on the final Windows Vista when people have computers with the right specs and the correct drivers.

So I guess that is completely the devleoper's problem and not vista's. After all, I, and many others, warned him, if he wants to wait till the final Vista release then that is his problem and I don't think there is any need for such a discussion any more.

So can a mod please close this topic now, it has been clearly stated that it isn't a problem in vista, but something that the application developer must change.

Friday, June 30, 2006 8:28 AM