How to handle the Name attribute in an Employee model RRS feed

• Question

• I'm fairly new to MDS and during my first little skunk project working with MDS I've run in to a little problem. I would like to create and employee model with all the attributes as defined by our business/architect, this requires us to keep the following name attributes for each employee: FirstName, MiddleName, LastName, MaidenName & PreferredName. The issue I,m having is how to represent FirstName without confusing the end user who will be managing the dataset. As the Name attribute exists for every model and cannot be changed to something like FirstName, how does one design your employee model to store the data in the format the user expects it in without breaking rules about data definitions and without confusing the end user? 
    Tuesday, February 23, 2016 2:30 PM

Answers

• Hello Romano,

One option is to change the Display Name of "Name" attribute to 'First Name' and create another attribute for 'Last Name'. In this case you would see First Name (instead of Name) and Last Name attributes in Web Explorer and Excel Addin.

• Proposed as answer by Nazanin Calagar Tuesday, February 23, 2016 11:35 PM
    • Marked as answer by Charlie Liao Monday, March 7, 2016 1:51 AM
    Tuesday, February 23, 2016 9:29 PM

All replies

• Hi Romano,

You can give display name or description that enter First name

Srinivasarao

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 2:49 PM
  • Hi Srinvasarao,

Thanks for your reply. Are you suggesting I have the "Name" attribute as the display name, for example FirstName + ' ' + LastName? 

Tuesday, February 23, 2016 5:26 PM
  • Hello Romano,

One option is to change the Display Name of "Name" attribute to 'First Name' and create another attribute for 'Last Name'. In this case you would see First Name (instead of Name) and Last Name attributes in Web Explorer and Excel Addin.

• Proposed as answer by Nazanin Calagar Tuesday, February 23, 2016 11:35 PM
    • Marked as answer by Charlie Liao Monday, March 7, 2016 1:51 AM
    Tuesday, February 23, 2016 9:29 PM
  • Hi Nazanin,

Thanks for your answer above, makes sense, I've just not been able to find where in MD to change the display name attribute of 'Name'. Would you be able to point me in the right direction please?

Tuesday, March 22, 2016 6:41 PM
  • Romano,

The DisplayName is only supported in the SQL Server 2016. In the SQL Server 2014 and below, you are not able to change the default Name.

Wednesday, March 23, 2016 7:09 PM