none
Cannot resolve names after virus cleanup for websites or ping through command prompt; nslookup does resolve IPs RRS feed

• Question

• A workstation on the network had the Locky virus launched on it Monday. I got ThreatTrack on the line to assist with this, and the tech removed several folders, e.g. Windows\temp, and others, and I had a bad feeling about this while he was doing this. I was told to log on with a different username in safe mode, which is when I gave him access to the machine via team viewer. After he got off the system, name resolution would no longer work. From any browser, I cannot bring up any web pages via a hostname, but web pages do pull up with the IP. From the command prompt, I cannot ping a hostname because of name resolution problems, but I can ping an IP. Nslookup does work, however. I initially tried "netsh int ip reset", and eventually removed the network adapter from the device manager and reinstalled it. Nothing worked. I've been searching for an answer on Google, but nothing so far. I also tried "sfc /scannow". All prior system restore dates prior to the infection have been deleted. The DNS client service is running.

The system in a 64-bit Windows 7 SP1 installation. Does anyone have an idea?

• Edited by baskervi Wednesday, March 9, 2016 5:21 PM
    Wednesday, March 9, 2016 5:17 PM

Answers

• Hi baskervi,

For network issue, we could run the built-in troubleshoot tool to have a diagnostic.

Path: Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Troubleshooting\All Categories\Network Adapter

Based on your situation, we could try to flush and reset the DNS client resolver cache using” ipconfig /flushdns” command.

If the issue persists, we could try to perform an in-place upgrade repair before we performed a clean installation.

Refreshing the machine won`t affect the personal files. Boot from a Windows 7 SP1 ISO, choose "upgrade" install.

Since this issue an OEM version, it is recommended to ask for help from the device manufacturer support if you want to perform a clean reinstallation (in case of license issue).

Best regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 10, 2016 9:52 AM

All replies

• I thought I might try to reinstall SP1 prior to rebuilding the machine, but I'm fairly certain this machine came from Dell with SP1 installed. Since I can't uninstall SP1, is there a way to force the reinstallation? Thanks
    Wednesday, March 9, 2016 11:57 PM
  • Hi baskervi,

For network issue, we could run the built-in troubleshoot tool to have a diagnostic.

Path: Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Troubleshooting\All Categories\Network Adapter

Based on your situation, we could try to flush and reset the DNS client resolver cache using” ipconfig /flushdns” command.

If the issue persists, we could try to perform an in-place upgrade repair before we performed a clean installation.

Refreshing the machine won`t affect the personal files. Boot from a Windows 7 SP1 ISO, choose "upgrade" install.

Since this issue an OEM version, it is recommended to ask for help from the device manufacturer support if you want to perform a clean reinstallation (in case of license issue).

Best regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 10, 2016 9:52 AM
  • Thank you very much for your reply.

I'll try the troubleshooter in a moment - I'm currently making an image of the drive to ensure I don't lose any data. Honestly, the troubleshooter has never provided any useful information I didn't already know, but it is worth a shot.

I've both rebooted and removed/readded the network adapter, so flushing the DNS resolver cache has essentially been done.

I was going to try the in-place upgrade last night, but I've misplaced my Dell Win 7 32-bit discs. I found a half dozen of the 64-bit, though. I found a source for one, and when I get it this morning, I'll give this a shot. There is also a partition with the OS installation files on it, so I may try that along the way. I'm not sure if there is a repair option, though.

Thanks again.

Thursday, March 10, 2016 3:22 PM
  • Hi baskervi,

if there is any result, please feel free to let us know. we are looking forward to your good news.

Best regards

Friday, March 11, 2016 1:34 AM