"Publisher could not be verified" Vista headaches RRS feed

• Question

• An app I am writing runs perfectly fine on XP, but on Vista I get the dreaded "The publisher could not be verified.  Are you sure you want to run this software?" error.  If the user clicks "Run", another dialog comes up:  "An unidentified program wants access to your computer".  I want to find out how to get rid of these dialogs; the program is run locally.

From what I gather, and I don't really understand everything about this stuff, a VeriSign certificate is required to make the dialogs go away.  Isn't there some other way to make the program run under Vista without it giving a warning every single time it is run? It seems....ridiculous to require an expensive certificate just so it'll run without nag screens that aren't present in XP.  If I can get a certificate so those nag screens won't appear, how do I go about implementing/using them?
    Wednesday, July 22, 2009 10:15 PM

Answers

• Hi, thanks for the post. From the post, it seems that this issue is caused by lacking of VeriSign certificate in the self-developed application. As this forum focuses on Windows Vista specific issues, for dev related issue, the inquiry would best be posted to MSDN forum:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/categories

Let’s see if they have any suggestion on this certificate related issue. Thank you for your understanding.

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Friday, July 24, 2009 3:05 AM