Unable to accept invite because I'm already the owner when inviting another mailbox that's attached to Outlook RRS feed

• Question

• Posting on behalf of a client.

He has an Office 365 account as the primary and a bigpond.com.au mailbox also attached to his Outlook.

When he creates an appointment and invites his Bigpond mailbox he's unable to accept as it states he's already the owner. 

Is there anyway around this?

Thanks,

- Hayden

Friday, January 17, 2020 3:15 AM

All replies

• Hi HaydenA,

Could you please post the complete error information here which will be helpful to troubleshooting.

I want to confirm the following situation with you: 

What's the relationship between the two accounts, are they two separate accounts in different domains? Will the appointment/meeting created in one account show on another's calendar as well?

Have the user tried using OWA to do the same operation, will he get the same error information? 

Can the user invite other people to the appointment successfully? 

Regards,

Joyce Shen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, January 20, 2020 6:04 AM
  • Hello Joyce, Thanks for your reply.

The error on the email received says "As the meeting organizer, you do not need to respond to the meeting".

The two accounts are on different domains, one exchange and the other imap, the appointment is only created on the exchange account. 

Unable to test in OWA as the Imap account can't be added (as far as I'm aware). 

Other users can be invited with no issue.

Thanks,

- Hayden

Friday, January 24, 2020 7:46 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update about your issue?

I find a similar thread had the same issue as yours, it mentions that: 

If the user/account that sends the meeting request (ie: John P. Doe) has the same ‘display name’ as the invited attendee (ie: John P. Doe), then Outlook thinks the meeting organizer is the same person as the attendee. Therefore, Outlook will not let you ACCEPT the meeting request, but instead shows; “As the meeting organizer, you do not need to respond to the meeting.”

A work around to this issue is to insure the display name’s are not exactly the same. Change one of the display names to (ie: John Doe) and the other (ie: John P. Doe). Once I made changes to one of the display names, Outlook then allowed me to ACCEPT the meeting invite.

So please make sure the two accounts not having same display name.

Here is also an article introduces about the error information: As the meeting organizer, you do not need to respond to the meeting

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Regards,

Joyce Shen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Friday, February 14, 2020 6:41 AM
  • Hello Joyce,

No new updates. Thank you very much for this info. 

I'll test and report back.

Regards,

- Hayden

Friday, April 3, 2020 1:33 AM