Dell laptop audio problem RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Dell Inspiron E1505 laptop running Vista SP1.

3 days ago the audio vanished without a trace and the speaker icon in the task bar shows "no audio output device installed". I tried a system restore to a previous date but that didn't fix the problem. I downloaded the Sigmatel STAC 92XX-C driver from the Dell website but got the message "device object not present restart the system & run setup again". When I did that Windows tried to install the driver but to no avail. After reading a few posts on various sites I downloaded and installed Notebook System Software, Intel Chip Set drivers and installed them and tried the Sigmatel driver again with the same result. I know the speakers work because I get "beeps" on some operations.

I read something in this forum about KB888111.exe that needed to be installed for similar problems with other Sigmatel drivers. Does this also apply to my situation or is there somethin else that I need to do? Has anyone run into this type of problem and found a solution?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Friday, October 24, 2008 11:18 PM

Answers

• Hi,

It seems that the audio device is not detected. Please enter BIOS and check if it is disabled by some reasons.

If it is not disabled but does not work, the hardware may be damaged. I suggest that you contact Dell support to check the hardware issue.

Thursday, October 30, 2008 9:42 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

This behavior occurs if the audio driver is corrupt. Please follow the steps below to remove the driver and reinstall with the latest driver.

1. Click Start, click Run, type in "devmgmt.msc" (without quotation marks) and press Enter.

2. In Device Manager, double click to expand the "Sound, video and Game controllers" branch.

3. Right click the Sigmatel STAC 92XX-C and click Uninstall to uninstall the driver.

4. Click Start, in the Start Search box type "appwiz.cpl" and press Enter.

5. Find and remove all the Sigmatel related entries.

7. Download the latest driver from the following website.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=WLH&osl=EN&catid=-1&impid=-1&servicetag=&SystemID=INSPIRONI6400%2FE1505&hidos=WW1&hidlang=en&TabIndex=

8. Restart computer, press the F8 key when the boot menu pops up, select [Safe Mode], and boot up

9. Install the audio driver in Safe Mode.

Important Note: Microsoft provides third-party contact information to help you find technical support. This contact information may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this third-party contact information.

Hope it helps.

Monday, October 27, 2008 9:25 AM
  • Thanks; I'll give it a shot and let you know how it works out.

Monday, October 27, 2008 11:29 PM
  • Well I gave it a shot but same result!!

I keep getting the same error messages.

At this point I'm pretty much out of options so if you can think of anything else let me know.

Thanks for the help.

Wednesday, October 29, 2008 12:19 AM
  • Hi,

It seems that the audio device is not detected. Please enter BIOS and check if it is disabled by some reasons.

If it is not disabled but does not work, the hardware may be damaged. I suggest that you contact Dell support to check the hardware issue.

Thursday, October 30, 2008 9:42 AM
  • Thanks.

I did check the BIOS and it is not disabled. I will see if Dell can help me out.

Thursday, October 30, 2008 11:27 PM