none
Windows 10 1703 Sysprep (Imaging) Issues

All replies

• Hi Marc, 

Please help to collect the %WINDIR%\System32\Sysprep\Panther\setupact.log and setuperr.log onto OneDrive and share the link here for our research. 

I noticed that some users have feedback this issue, without copyprofile always work fine. 

Would you please also help to clarify if these APPs you noticed have the issues were the ones you removed from audit mode?

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 27, 2017 9:02 AM
  • I'm running into the same problem. I managed to track it down to the following app in setuperr.log

SYSPRP Failed to remove staged package Microsoft.Messaging_3.19.1001.0_x86_8wekyb3d

A bit more investigation I find that the following command below returns information on this.  What's interesting here is that the package only shows up on -allusers, it doesn't show up if I do the one account 'Administrator' that I have.  My understanding is stuff under allusers was supposed to be ok. 

• Import-module Appx
    • Import-module DISM
    • (Get-AppxPackage -allusers | where {$_.Name -eq 'Microsoft.Messaging'}).PackageFullName

Returns on 1607

• Microsoft.Messaging_3.19.1001.0_x86_8wekyb3d

On a machine that was upgraded from 1607 to 1703 I get

• Microsoft.Messaging_3.19.1001.0_x86_8wekyb3d
    • Microsoft.Messaging_3.26.24002.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

So I suspect that the 3.19 version is causing the problem because it was superseded by 3.26 or a dependency or something.

Oddly, another workstation that was upgraded shows only the 3.26. 

I haven't found a way to remove the 3.19 version before or after upgrade to 1703. 

It would be really nice if SYSPREP could be updated to deal with these things. 

Bob

Wednesday, May 3, 2017 6:06 PM
  • Sorry, this isn't an answer, just more information on what's happening.  Its still a problem.

Bob

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 7:52 PM
  • Sorry, this isn't an answer, just more information on what's happening.  Its still a problem.

Bob

Hi Bob, 

Can you find folder  for Microsoft.Messaging_3.19.1001.0_x86_8wekyb3d under C:\Program Files\WindowsApp?

We need to take ownership of this folder to access right. 

If so, what  about if we remove it manually in this folder.

@echo off
    cd /d  C:\Program Files\WindowsApps
    DISM.exe /Online /Remove-ProvisionedAppxPackage /PackageName:Microsoft.Messaging_3.19.1001.0_x86_8wekyb3d

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 8:16 AM
  • That might work, I'll try it today and see what I get.

Bob

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 12:03 PM
  • That didn't work for a couple of reasons.  First, the directory doesn't exist in the WidnowsApp directory, which may be causing most of the problems.  The DISM command also fails the error is Failed when trying to convert package fullname "...." to Package ID hr:0x80070057.

I think the problem has to do with the upgrade of that component not working properly, it should have removed the old version when the new version was installed. 

Bob

Tuesday, May 16, 2017 3:37 PM
  • I think I may have found an answer.  The key seams to be when doing the upgrade to 1703, there is a prompt for preserving user data and apps, user data only, and nothing.  In my case the only account I have is local admin, so I chose user data only.  The new version of messenger was installed, and the old version is no longer showing when I run the PowerShell command.  I still have some more testing to do, but this may resolve the issue.

Bob

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 5:31 PM
  • I'm able to sysprep successfully.  So for my needs this resolves the problem.  But since I didn't post the original question I don't think I can mark it as answered.

FYI, you still have to remove the other applications that aren't set to -AllUser.  But that's easily handled by using a PowerShell script.

Bob

Wednesday, May 17, 2017 6:10 PM
  • Thanks for your sharing on this question, I will feedback this issue in our platform, hope it can be fixed in further released. 

Tuesday, May 23, 2017 5:15 PM
  • If you dont want all the garbage app disable the consumer experience

before syspreping - To do so, type gpedit.msc in start search and hit Enter to open the Group Policy Editor. Navigate to User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Control Panel > Personalization. Now in the right pane, double click on Load a specific theme. A new window will open

• Proposed as answer by JunuZ Tuesday, July 11, 2017 4:10 PM
    Tuesday, July 11, 2017 4:09 PM
  • In this case turning of the consumer experience wouldn't have fixed the problem because messenger is a core piece not an app like Candy Crush.  We do turn off the consumer experience, and I still haven't figured out why Microsoft doesn't make that default for Enterprise.

Bob

Thursday, July 13, 2017 2:21 PM
  • Marc,

Are you building your image in audit mode?

I am running into a similar issue running sysprep on my upgraded master image as well.

Thursday, August 31, 2017 7:40 PM
  • In this case turning of the consumer experience wouldn't have fixed the problem because messenger is a core piece not an app like Candy Crush.  We do turn off the consumer experience, and I still haven't figured out why Microsoft doesn't make that default for Enterprise.

Bob

Bob,

Are you building your image in audit mode?

I have a W10 machine I am maintaining the image on, but I am not updating the image via audit mode.

I have not had any issues up until this latest build of W10 (I run get-appxpackage | remove-appxpackage) on all accounts and then run sysrpep.exe with OOBE selected).

Thursday, August 31, 2017 7:43 PM
  • No, we don't use audit mode.  If you read farther up in the thread, I figured out how to get around the problem.

Bob

Wednesday, September 13, 2017 1:58 AM
  • yes i have same Windows 10 1709 and 1803 Sysprep (Imaging) Issues start menu same this photos :/
    Tuesday, March 27, 2018 11:53 PM