Cannot get NPS to start RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to replace W2003 IAS with 2008R2 NPS, and struggling badly...About a month ago I hadmy first replacement service up and running, but now that I'm trying to get the second server running I'm in all sorts of bother....

The second server will not start up, I have checked the directory permissions, reset the config, Tried the vss solution, checked ports/firewalls and tried tracing but there is no useful information anywhere except that the service does not start 'in a timely manner. So went back to the first NPS installation, which had apparently stoped working ater 3 days, tried to perform the same debugging, eventually uninstalled and tried to reinstall, and cannot install! .

Is there anyway to debug why the services will not start/install ?

Thanks

Tim

Friday, June 27, 2014 1:39 PM

Answers

• Solved, the local loop back for IPv6 was not enabled on the McAfee firewall, stopping the service from starting...
    • Marked as answer by TimFoo Monday, June 30, 2014 2:14 PM
    Monday, June 30, 2014 2:14 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You may try the steps below to help troubleshoot the problem,

1. Remove NPS and domain services.
    2. Enable tracing on the command line with netsh ras set tracing * enable
    3. Reboot the machine and try installing the services again (AD DS then NPS).
    4. Review and provide the output from logs in %windir%\tracing.
    5. When ready, disable tracing with netsh ras set tracing * dis

Quote from: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/a987cf99-7f7c-4bbc-b8fd-e262a61db1f9/adding-nap-role-error?forum=winserverNAP

Besides, is there any error or warning in the event viewer? This may be helpful for further troubleshooting.

Hope this helps.

Steven Lee

TechNet Community Support

Monday, June 30, 2014 8:13 AM
  • Tracked it down... Uninstalling McAfee IPS makes the problem go away. Not that disabling IPS works, or that there is anything in the IPS log files... I guess I'll be contacting McAfee and asking them what's up ! I'll post more if I get anywhere with them!

• Edited by TimFoo Monday, June 30, 2014 11:21 AM
    Monday, June 30, 2014 11:21 AM
  • Solved, the local loop back for IPv6 was not enabled on the McAfee firewall, stopping the service from starting...
    • Marked as answer by TimFoo Monday, June 30, 2014 2:14 PM
    Monday, June 30, 2014 2:14 PM