Windows 7 -Delay after right click and installation query RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have freshly clean installed Windows 7 home premium x64 in my HP laptop which was previously running the x86 version of the same factory installed OS.I have performed a usb install.Now,I have two queries-

1.During the installation,when the machine rebooted,to complete the installation process,it gave the option of 'Continue with win 7-EMS ENABLED'-and I went ahead with it and completed the process.I want to know whether this EMS thing is normal or not?

2.There is a slight delay after the right click in the desktop-how can it be resolved?

Looking forward for your valuable opinions regarding this

• Edited by Snehanjan Friday, October 3, 2014 5:23 AM
    Friday, October 3, 2014 5:19 AM

Answers

• Hi,

First please know that EMS allows users to control particular components of a server remotely, even when the server is not connected to the network or to other standard remote-administration tools. In Windows Vista and later, use BCDEdit /emssettings command and its parameters to establish EMS settings for all boot entries. Then, use the BCDEdit /ems command to enable EMS for a particular boot entry.

It's ok to get EMS enabled.

For your second question, it seems a performance issue.

Please first let me know except the system default context on the right click menu, if there is any 3rd part context menu or extension. if so, please use shellexview to remove them:

1. Download ShellExView v1.41 from the following link http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.zip 
    Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.
    2.  Extract "shexview.zip" file and open shexview.exe. It will scan the registry for all the shell extensions.
    3. Select all the non-Microsoft extensions in pink by press "Ctrl" in the keyboard.
    4. Click the "Disable Selected Items" on the toolbar and click Yes.
    5. Restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.

If there is no such context menu, please run performance troubleshooting under Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Troubleshooting\All Categories.

Also, help to test the issue in Clean boot mode.

How to perform a clean boot
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

If the issue doesn’t appear, you can determine which one can be the cause by using dichotomy in MSconfig. Checking on half of Non-Microsoft service and restart, determining which half of the services cause the issue and repeating to check half of the problematic half services.

If the issue still persists, please check if there is any related error or warning in event logs, post back for our further research.

Kate Li
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Snehanjan Monday, October 6, 2014 2:49 PM
    Monday, October 6, 2014 8:20 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks a lot for your response.Using Shellexview I could disable two non-Microsoft context menu extensions but the issue still persisted.But after some research and with help of your valuable advice,I could figure out that the issue is related to contextual menu handlers in the registry.I eradicated the problem with the help of this method given within the attached image. Within context menu handlers,there were multiple extensions,like Intel graphics ones,groove monitor utility related ones etc.I deleted all the extensions except one titled New after making a proper backup.

Monday, October 6, 2014 2:48 PM

All replies

• Hi,

First please know that EMS allows users to control particular components of a server remotely, even when the server is not connected to the network or to other standard remote-administration tools. In Windows Vista and later, use BCDEdit /emssettings command and its parameters to establish EMS settings for all boot entries. Then, use the BCDEdit /ems command to enable EMS for a particular boot entry.

It's ok to get EMS enabled.

For your second question, it seems a performance issue.

Please first let me know except the system default context on the right click menu, if there is any 3rd part context menu or extension. if so, please use shellexview to remove them:

1. Download ShellExView v1.41 from the following link http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.zip 
    Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.
    2.  Extract "shexview.zip" file and open shexview.exe. It will scan the registry for all the shell extensions.
    3. Select all the non-Microsoft extensions in pink by press "Ctrl" in the keyboard.
    4. Click the "Disable Selected Items" on the toolbar and click Yes.
    5. Restart your computer and check if the issue is resolved.

If there is no such context menu, please run performance troubleshooting under Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Troubleshooting\All Categories.

Also, help to test the issue in Clean boot mode.

How to perform a clean boot
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

If the issue doesn’t appear, you can determine which one can be the cause by using dichotomy in MSconfig. Checking on half of Non-Microsoft service and restart, determining which half of the services cause the issue and repeating to check half of the problematic half services.

If the issue still persists, please check if there is any related error or warning in event logs, post back for our further research.

Kate Li
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Snehanjan Monday, October 6, 2014 2:49 PM
    Monday, October 6, 2014 8:20 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks a lot for your response.Using Shellexview I could disable two non-Microsoft context menu extensions but the issue still persisted.But after some research and with help of your valuable advice,I could figure out that the issue is related to contextual menu handlers in the registry.I eradicated the problem with the help of this method given within the attached image. Within context menu handlers,there were multiple extensions,like Intel graphics ones,groove monitor utility related ones etc.I deleted all the extensions except one titled New after making a proper backup.

Monday, October 6, 2014 2:48 PM