none
Add/Edit Note for a Task RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

I'm using Project Online (Office 365 PWA).

Thanks to this community I managed to add the Note field to show up in my project view.

The note field is showing up in my view but I cannot add a note!

how can I add a note/text into this field?

Thank you

Codernater

Wednesday, August 24, 2016 5:08 PM

All replies

• Hi Codernater,

Which view you are trying to work from. Is it Project Center (Projects) in Project Online. If yes, this view is read only and you cant edit fields here.

If from within the project client, what level do you want to write notes on (task or project level)?

Peter Kestenholz, MVP Partner and Business Consultant Projectum

Wednesday, August 24, 2016 7:35 PM
  • Hi Codernater,

As per my understanding that field would be read only because it works bi-directional which mean any team member can update the note from PWA and Project Manager can also update the notes using PWA or Project Client.

To update the note you need to click on the hyperlink of Task name which will open assignment and at the bottom you can find place to add notes and view notes added by others.

Amol

Wednesday, August 24, 2016 8:04 PM
  • Yes, in project online.

So I can't add notes in project online, it's only available for Project Client version?!

Codernater

Thursday, August 25, 2016 2:55 PM
  • Using schedule web part in Project Online you wont be able to add notes on task level.

If you want your team member to add notes for that they can navigate to Tasks or Timesheet and click on Task name hyperlink which will open assignment details page and you can add notes there which is at the bottom of the page.

Amol

Thursday, August 25, 2016 4:21 PM
  • Hi, 

My team are also using the project scheduler to manage projects. When a tasks slips past its due date I would like to be able to see why, using the notes field would have been ideal. If they cant use the notes, how add a task level can they add comments to explain slippage or give context? 

Thanks 

Tuesday, August 11, 2020 1:14 PM
  • You could create a Enterprise column titled 'Reasons for delay'.  I think you go into PWA Settings to do this.  You can leave notes within a task just to paste the historical comments from your 'Reasons for delay' so there is an audit trail

e.g 18/08/2020 JBloggs: Reasons for delay is xxxxxx

When creating the Enterprise column, be mindful that there is a max of characters allowed. I think 250 - check. 

• Edited by esmerlda Tuesday, August 18, 2020 2:21 PM
    Tuesday, August 18, 2020 2:18 PM