Unable to run some .exe files in Widows 7 Professional (32bit) RRS feed

• Question

• I am unable to run a couple of .exe files from my Windows Professional 32 machine.  The files in question are from 2 different publishers, one is a viewer for my GE security DVRs  and the other is a UCB console for my phone system.  Both files run fine on WindowsXP 32bit machines, and after speaking to both vendors, they have no problem running the files on Windows 7 32bit machines. 

The error I receive when trying either file is:

Thursday, April 5, 2012 5:10 PM

Answers

• Hi,

That’s could be the incompatible issue. You can try to run these program under Windows XP Mode for test:

Install and use Windows XP Mode in Windows 7

Or run this software with Vista Compatible Mode:

1 Right click the software and choose “Properties”

2 Choose the “Compatibility” tab, choose “run this program in compatibility mode for”

3 Select “Windows Vista”

Leo Huang

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Leo Huang Friday, April 13, 2012 5:07 AM
    Monday, April 9, 2012 6:24 AM

All replies

• Try installing this in compatibility mode: right click the setup file, choose "Properties", click the "Compatibility" tab, activate the "Run this program in compatibility mode for" box and select the Windows version from the list below; otherwise, you can go to Control Panel -> All Control Panel Items -> Troubleshooting and use "Run programs made for previous versions of Windows".

Also what if you try to right click and run the apps as Administrator. I don't think that is the issue to be honest but if it works that way we'll know a bit more.

Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

Thursday, April 5, 2012 5:51 PM
  • Sorry I didn't elaborate as to the steps I have taken proir to bringing my question here.

I am Enterprise Admin on the domain the machine is attached to, and have gone so far as to add my domain user directly to the Local Administrator group.

I have tried every combination of compatibility settings available in conjunction with "Run as Administrator"

I also downloaded and installed MS's Application Verifier and have a log from the last run attempt below. 

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>
    <avrf:logfile xmlns:avrf="Application Verifier">
    	<avrf:logSession TimeStarted="2012-04-05 : 12:58:37" PID="6172" Version="2">
    		<avrf:logEntry Time="2012-04-05 : 12:58:38" LayerName="LuaPriv" StopCode="0x33FF" Severity="Information">
    			<avrf:message>Information: LUAPriv version.</avrf:message>
    			<avrf:formatmessage>LUAPriv version: 1.0</avrf:formatmessage>
    			<avrf:parameter1>1 - Version major</avrf:parameter1>
    			<avrf:parameter2>0 - Version minor</avrf:parameter2>
    			<avrf:parameter3>0 - n/a</avrf:parameter3>
    			<avrf:parameter4>0 - n/a</avrf:parameter4>
    		</avrf:logEntry>
    		<avrf:logEntry Time="2012-04-05 : 12:58:38" LayerName="LuaPriv" StopCode="0x333A" Severity="Information">
    			<avrf:message>Information: Application file name.</avrf:message>
    			<avrf:formatmessage>C:\Users\mark_wilson\Desktop\DVRPlayer\DVR_Player.exe</avrf:formatmessage>
    			<avrf:parameter1>12f2d0 - File Name</avrf:parameter1>
    			<avrf:parameter2>0 - n/a</avrf:parameter2>
    		<avrf:logEntry Time="2012-04-05 : 12:58:38" LayerName="LuaPriv" StopCode="0x333B" Severity="Information">
    			<avrf:message>Information: Application file version.</avrf:message>
    			<avrf:formatmessage>1.0.11.4</avrf:formatmessage>
    			<avrf:parameter1>10000 - dwFileVersionMS</avrf:parameter1>
    			<avrf:parameter2>b0004 - dwFileVersionLS</avrf:parameter2>
    		<avrf:logEntry Time="2012-04-05 : 12:58:38" LayerName="LuaPriv" StopCode="0x333C" Severity="Information">
    			<avrf:message>Information: Application file product version.</avrf:message>
    			<avrf:formatmessage>1.0.11.4</avrf:formatmessage>
    			<avrf:parameter1>10000 - dwProductVersionMS</avrf:parameter1>
    			<avrf:parameter2>b0004 - dwProductVersionLS</avrf:parameter2>
    		<avrf:logEntry Time="2012-04-05 : 12:58:38" LayerName="LuaPriv" StopCode="0x333D" Severity="Information">
    			<avrf:message>Information: Application file description.</avrf:message>
    			<avrf:formatmessage></avrf:formatmessage>
    			<avrf:parameter1>43e9be8 - File description</avrf:parameter1>
    			<avrf:parameter2>404 - Language</avrf:parameter2>
    			<avrf:parameter3>3b6 - Code page</avrf:parameter3>
    		<avrf:logEntry Time="2012-04-05 : 12:58:38" LayerName="LuaPriv" StopCode="0x333E" Severity="Information">
    			<avrf:message>Information: Application file product name.</avrf:message>
    			<avrf:parameter1>43e9ce4 - File product name</avrf:parameter1>
    		<avrf:logEntry Time="2012-04-05 : 12:58:38" LayerName="LuaPriv" StopCode="0x333F" Severity="Information">
    			<avrf:message>Information: Application file company name.</avrf:message>
    			<avrf:parameter1>43e9bbc - File company name</avrf:parameter1>
    		<avrf:logEntry Time="2012-04-05 : 12:58:38" LayerName="LuaPriv" StopCode="0x3340" Severity="Information">
    			<avrf:message>Information: Application file original filename.</avrf:message>
    			<avrf:parameter1>43e9cc2 - File original filename</avrf:parameter1>
    	</avrf:logSession>
    </avrf:logfile>

Thursday, April 5, 2012 9:04 PM
  • What does the Details pane in the Event Viewer tell you? The Verifier isn't much help, it doesn't show any issue

Also is the vendor a large manufacturer? It looks like a compatibility issue. Desktop.exe actually shows up as a potential spyware on a lot of sites I've looked at.

• Edited by RorymonMVP Thursday, April 5, 2012 10:10 PM
    Thursday, April 5, 2012 10:07 PM
  • The exception code 0xc0000005 indicates an access violation: are you sure that those programs are fully compatible with Windows 7?

Bye.

Luigi Bruno - Microsoft Community Contributor 2011 Award

Friday, April 6, 2012 5:32 PM
  • What does the Details pane in the Event Viewer tell you? The Verifier isn't much help, it doesn't show any issue

Also is the vendor a large manufacturer? It looks like a compatibility issue. Desktop.exe actually shows up as a potential spyware on a lot of sites I've looked at.

The vendor for the DVR .exe is GE (General Electric) and the Desktop.exe is the desktop client for the UCB console for my NEC phone system.

I have personally seen it running on Win7 (32) machines used by my security systems vendor and Earthlink field technicians' (phone sysem vendor) laptops.  I am wondering if it could be a GPO issue, but I have looked everywhere I can think of for it with no luck. 

Saturday, April 7, 2012 4:55 AM
  • Hi,

That’s could be the incompatible issue. You can try to run these program under Windows XP Mode for test:

Install and use Windows XP Mode in Windows 7

Or run this software with Vista Compatible Mode:

1 Right click the software and choose “Properties”

2 Choose the “Compatibility” tab, choose “run this program in compatibility mode for”

3 Select “Windows Vista”

Leo Huang

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Leo Huang Friday, April 13, 2012 5:07 AM
    Monday, April 9, 2012 6:24 AM
  • This is an old question, but in case anyone is still looking for a solution this is what I have found.  I too have the problem with 32 bit machines, but it seems to run fine on Win7 64 bit.  I believe if you have the CMS application (it looks like you can download it here: http://cctvco.com:9996/KB/a445/cms-version-3120-latest-as-of-2-4-11.aspx) it should work.  In my case, I want to distribute the video clip, but not the CMS application or the player.  So with the CMS application, I am able to convert the file from .DRV format to .AVI format, which just about anyone should be able to open.
    • Edited by Rich Curley Friday, December 7, 2012 3:30 AM Added Hyperlink
    Friday, December 7, 2012 3:30 AM